Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying cut limestone on concrete

Posted by srjohnt (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 17:25

I am replacing a porch that was torn off of my 1820's brick house. I have a stonemason who has duplicated the old limestone foundation blocks, and we have faced a concrete porch form with them. now, we need to cap the porch with 3" thick cut limestone blocks. Around the perimeter the blocks are 36" x 16", and inside the perimeter the field blocks are 12" x 24" Everything is 3" thick. My question relates to laying the limestone blocks on the concrete. I assume a mortar bed, but would a large notched trowel be the way to go? I have reservations about just plopping down a mud bed and trying to level all these blocks, as it seems as you go along, there would be no place for the mortar to go, whereby with a large notched trowel, it would be somewhat like laying giant tiles, and the notched trowel would make room for the mortar to spread out. Don't know if this will work, though.

Any experience with a situation like this, or any advice?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying cut limestone on concrete

srjohnt:

I'd check into this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra drain

o

One of my projects was taking kitchen counter-top scrap and placing it on a concrete slab. This solved a problem for the cost factor that the buyer wanted. He wanted a flagstone patterned, flattened, non skid surface that he could drive on with his vehicles and had natural stone. Doing this is labor and cost prohibitive using traditional 2-3in flagstones laid in sand bed with cement grout mortar as they are too unstable for vehicles to maintain integrity. Instead we did a cement pad to support the vehicles and laid a veneer over the top with the 1 inch scrap sedimentary types of stone. Then the polish was sand blasted which was messy but allowed use of larger pieces without slippage on the surface. The workers appreciated the less weight and inc safety of using the scrap as the same surface size could be manipulated by one person instead of 2-3 with traditional flag stone. Here is a picture of the finished site, not exciting but very utilitarian.

o

LOL...he could probably get the same effect with stamped/stained concrete, but he wanted that natural stone...Very happy with the product

o

Well, Thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't get any specifics on "how to do it", so here's what we did, and so far, so good.

I figured this was somewhat like a tile job, but with heavy tiles (3" thick) and mortar instead of thinset. I couldn't find a trowel with notches larger than 1/2" so I modified one of those with a grinder to 3/4. Mixed a rich mortar mix with bonding admixture, then troweled the mortar with the notched trowel, and laid the stones with a 78 inch level. It came out really well. Perimeter stones are laid, and field stones dry laid for size, We'll finish up tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here