Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Any opinions on Mastercraft doors from Menards?

cruzmisl
12 years ago

Hi All,

Looking to replace my doors with some Mastercraft doors from Menards. Price is good but I'm curious on the quality of them. The closest Menards is 100 miles away so its tough for me to see them for myself.

Any ideas or thoughts truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (36)

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I noticed a door Menards has is $2K but the same door (really just the glass insert) from another supplier is $3k. I'll kick myself if I get a new door and it doesn't seal properly.
    Thanks,
    Joe

• Jace-Chicago
    12 years ago

I'm a big fan of them. I have twelve of them (purchased in late 2009) installed in my house, with five more on-order for our basement remodel. Once they are stained and have nice quality hardware installed, they look and feel WAY more expensive than they were.

I have the oak mission style. I recently had an architect in to contemplate some work, and he commented that he'd want to budget $1500 to have a custom-made door to match the "historic solid oak doors" in the rest of the house. :)

They are an oak veneer door, but it's pretty hard to tell they aren't solid oak. Their weight is roughly on par with solid oak doors, so they give our house a nice well-built feel. They took stain well and have held-up to the beating our family has doled out. The veneer has nice natural variation, so every door is unique, and you can feel the wood grain. In general, the panels are wider-grained while the rails and styles are tighter grained.

I have only two complaints, and I'm not sure the doors are to blame:
    - After the contractor stained them, a couple doors had a some odd quarter-sized sections where the stain was a lot lighter. It was simple enough to spot sand and re-stain.
    - Two doors have swollen after installation, requiring me to sand them down a bit to prevent them from sticking. Again, this could have been contractor error.

A couple tips:
    - If you custom-order, you need to upgrade the wood type in two places -- once for the door, and a second for the door frame.
    - In the month of August (at least in here in Chicago), there is a sale for 11% of all custom-ordered interior doors. In-story only, but you can have them delivered to your house. You can see it in their circular online.

• Sarah H
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know this is an old thread so the OP won't be able to benefit from my experience but maybe my review of Mastercraft will save someone a lot of time and money.

My experience with Mastercraft was absolutely awful. My husband and I bought a new front door from them for the house we purchased in January. There were issue with the door itself so I contacted the company. Here is my original email to them:

"My husband and I ordered the door on Saturday 1/9/16 and picked it up on Friday 1/15/16. Upon pick up, it was discovered that the door was missing the sidelight kickplate which was ordered, verified by the sales person and paid for. At pick up, my husband brought it to the attention of the sales associate and was told it would be sent Fed-Ex to us. This is unacceptable as the sales person we ordered with on 1/9 stated we were much better off to order the kickplate installed from the factory as it would be more resilient. We still have not received a kickplate.

We ordered the door with a handle and deadbolt bore. The holes were made through the door to accommodate the handle and deadbolt but did not allow for the door to close properly as the interior closing edge was not bored to house the locking mechanism. Because of this, we had great difficulty in finding hardware that would allow the door to close, and ultimately had to use pieces from THREE different kits.

We are very disappointed with the construction of the door. The trim on the door is haphazardly installed. There are a few places where is is not even flush with the window. On the upper pane of the sidelight, the trim is BENT in a concave manner. There is also glue/adhesive on the window framing.

Lastly, many of the holes drilled for the screws on the frame of the windows are drilled in a manner that does not allow the plugs to obscure the holes. It appears that the bits used to drill the holes wore in the trim on an angle that was not intended.

We wanted to buy local as much as we could and were excited about being able to tell guests that our door was made in Wisconsin. For spending over a thousand dollars on a door, we are extremely disappointed. We spared no expense on this purchase and were expecting better workmanship.

I am writing this desiring to hear what can be done."

After over a dozen emails back and forth (I'll spare you the gritty details), them telling me Windex would remove caulking (um, ok) and me filling out a measurement questionnaire (when none of my complaints had anything to do with the measurements of the door), I ended up with two new windows. And, yes, they expect me to dismantle my $1200 door and install them myself. I don't even understand the logic in that. I STILL do not have a kickplate... you know, the one we ordered and paid for...?

I was told that the kickplate "wasn't part of the warranty" even after I described many times that it was already paid for and not a warranty issue at all.

Mastercraft's customer service is bottom of the barrel. Don't expect anything out of them... including common sense.

They could have sent me new trim and plugs for around the windows and a kickplate (you know, the one we paid paid for?!) and I would have been happy. Instead, they sent me $800 in windows. Because that makes sense.

Worst company ever. If you order a door from them, you're doing so at your own peril.

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

IMO, Menard's is the bottom of the barrel.

• steve_o
    7 years ago

When we looked at replacing several doors a couple of years ago, pretty much everything I read on-line and in print indicated that whatever $$ you saved buying a Mastercraft door was spent either on a finicky installation (shims and squaring issues) or down the line when the materials started failing.

We bought elsewhere.

• batzainv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My name is Jessica, and I am working on an investigation regarding quality issues related to Menards MasterCraft doors. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your experiences with this product, at batzainv@gmail.com or 800-901-5119. Thank you.

• jimssilvoyfarm
    7 years ago

In the area I live you can buy the doors but no reputable contractor will install them. Way too many problems.

You can buy decent doors from menards in crest line but they are special order and take a couple weeks to get. I have both,the crest line have been problem free,the mastercraft arebad.

They also sell good windows if you special order them. Don't get the jeldwen. Basically you get what you pay for.

• HU-517754555
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We purchased 2 Mastercraft exterior doors with dentilated Moulding details, and a six grid window at the top. After paying for installation, I noticed that the plastic grid was warping in the 55 degree weather (southern exposure) and that was after only 4 days of use. We spent additional money to have the glass in the storm door tinted to help with the heat buildup between the doors. It did not help appreciably. Then the dentil moulding started to warp and came loose from the door. It was affixed with 2 sided tape. The second door is now showing the same issues. I contacted the company regarding the warping on the first door and they sent a new window, which I know will also warp in the same manner, so have not bothered to change out

To say I am disgusted and disappointed is a gross understatement. Save yourself the hassle and shop another brand

• PRO
    None
    5 years ago
    Mastercrap?
  • geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

Anything from Menards is junk.

• HU-428657747
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am disappointed with the quality of my exterior Mastercraft doors. The soft rubber trim on the bottom is peeling off on all three doors I purchased. They have probably been in for less than 6 months. You buy cheap you get cheap. Buy the good stuff and you only cry once!

• HU-230185508
    4 years ago

I have warning for any is think buy these doors. RUN dont walk away from them! They are the absolute worst quality, POS I've ever see in my life! I made the mistake of buying a new front and back door for my house. Custom ordered, cost was nearly $2000 for both doors. Upon installing them I have broken both doors around lock mechanism because they are not cut out for latches or locks that have an inset bezel around them. The doors are so thin that when iI tried to cut the lock bezel in, I cracked the surrounding cheap a$$ pine wood. I paid extra money for the metal clad doors. Well they are nothing more than a pine door, covered in sheet metal no thicker than a piece of paper. Trash, garbage, junk. If you install them you better have a loaded gun and a good guard dog. If I lean hard on them, the door will literally splinter like matchsticks. And the frame? HA! It's PLASTIC! What a pile of garbage!

• Jeff Kroeger
    4 years ago

DO NOT BUY MASTERCRAFT DOORS! I bought a full door system with the door built into the frame and there was a 1/4 inch gap between the door and the frame where it closes. And their service doesn't stand behind their products!

• HU-343696768
    4 years ago

I bought a Mastercraft entry door has a good tight fit so yes it’s a good door

• Gary Lamonte
    3 years ago

. Reviews I'm .

• Chantel S
    3 years ago

The interior doors are trash.

• HU-237102911
    3 years ago

Give them a good looking over before taking home, craftsmanship leaves a little to be desired. They also do not have the flash plate routed out on the door, I had to buy a template and rout this out myself.

• HU-133504414
    3 years ago

We special ordered 3 interior doors for our bathroom remodel I thought I was doing my husband a favor by ordering prefinished,prehung, split jams. What a joke. Quality of the finished was pathetic, assembled by a 6 yr old with a staple gun. Installing was a twice the job of a prehung door. Due to fragile workmanship👎🏻First and last purchase from Menards!

• Amy Kristina
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm in a MasterCraft email nightmare too. I bought double doors. One had a paint blemish. I wanted them both replaced because the one had a factory defect, and they're a pair! I KNEW something would go wrong if I only replaced one. I was right. After all kinds of run around, they would only replace one, and the windows are a inch difference in height. It looks ridiculous. They told me I could fix it by popping out the plugs and unscrewing the lites to move the windows. Really? Ok. I tried it. It didn't work. Still looks ridiculous. I'm so irritated. I bought new doors and paid someone to install so I wouldn't have to worry about it among all the other home projects. It's one thing after another. I just want my doors to look good! I bought them brand new. This shouldn't be this difficult. I'm so disappointed.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Middle picture the light on the left is installed backwards. Screws go to the inside. Lights appear to be the same size just not located at the same height. Maybe they can be evened out but more than likely and inch off the holes are not cut the same heights. Unfortunately with both Mastercraft and Menards you are not dealing with a quality millwork supplier/dealer combo as you are finding out.

• stephen knapp
    3 years ago

This is my less then a year old patio door it has shrunk so much you can see outside

• Jim Schmidt
    2 years ago

They've cost reduced it so much that quality is pathetic. The particle board jambs and low density fiber frame dont hold together. And that's the start of a long list of trouble.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

The market determines what is acceptable. When you have a project befitting low costs, and expect to buy a hollow core prehung interior door for $80 (as of today), you will get an engineered wood frame, both to keep cost down and to market eco-friendly. This is true at any of the orange, blue, or green big box stores. You can always spend more for better quality, and each store has up-options for certain products. No different from buying a laundry basket or tshirt at Wallyworld.

• User
    2 years ago

As of right now they’re shiet quality. Both interior and exterior. Interior doors “stile and rail” in particular damages extremely easily on all of the edges. Exterior doors I’ve ordered so far have had quite a few defects and for the price you pay is not worth the hassle. They look beautiful at first but these doors don’t last

• HU-349402486
    2 years ago

I bought 3 (2 door units) and 2 (1 door units) and installed them in the end of December 2021. All but 1 (1 door unit) are exposed to the outdoor elements. One week after being installed it rained and every window in the doors leaked water all over our floors. I got ahold of them and they took forever to get back with me to even start to try and get something done. We are now into March 2022 (with several storms that have occurred and water leaking in around the windows and all over the floors. They seem to not care about any damages it has caused. They did not believe me on how many doors I put in from the Menard's receipt, so I had to take pictures of all the doors. All they want to do is send me new windows and I have to pay someone to put them in or put them in myself. They came with blemishes on every unit that I was going to live with, but now I am about to have them taken out and buy replacement. I have asked for a phone number for management but the lady in warranty will not give me one. Still battling the quality problems. I am now going to start back at the store that I bought them at.

• User
    2 years ago

I would sue them depending on how much damage was caused and how much you spent on all the doors

• annefortunetroutman
    last year

I think their website is cumbersome, PLUS they were unable to work with me because I wanted a 35.5" width instead of a 36". I tried to leave feedback, but the website wouldn't let me leave it.

• K Kaz
    11 months ago

Doors are not worth the money they charge. My doors, that were professionally installed, leaked from the first rain storm. Getting in contact with their customer service requires using the US mail. The remedy they offered was to send replacement windows and not a whole door.. From looking at other complaints online about the same issue, I have little hope that this will completely fix the issue. The customer service rep I dealt with was condescending, flippant, and not pleasant to deal with. The quality is not there, the company is more than aware of the issues, and are not interested in keeping their customers happy. I have shopped at Menards for decades, and have spent a fair amount of money there. Not anymore My advice, look for other options.

• HU-71560659
    6 months ago

Mastercraft doors by Menards are absolute garbage, frames are made oif particleboard, a little humidity and they warp

• Sherry Sbraccia
    6 months ago

We ordered a custom door and we had to go back 6 times before we got a door that wasn't damaged, and the sixth door had a hinge not attached at the top but we were so frustrated we just had the Menards people reattach it and took it since we were already almost 2 months past our schedule with the hold ups. I WOULD NOT recommend ordering a door throught them. Terrible quality control. The quick turn around time is tempting but you'll end up waiting just as long with having to return damaged doors.

• Overkill CNC
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Mastercraft doors are great and some not so great.

We MUST purchase the real wood jambs or frames to get the better doors. Do not use the particle board option for jambs then complain that Menards jambs are garbage! All companies that offer particle board jamb doors can said to be garbage. The real wood jambs or frames adds 199.00 to 234.00 PER door for Mastercraft doors and any other company that uses real wood jambs cost near double too. Trying to save money is actually on the buyer, not the seller. Mastercraft offers a real wood option for the jambs and that is on us, the buyers to choose or not.

Want great interior doors from Mastercraft:

1) ONLY buy the real hardwood jambs, adds 199 to 234 bucks PER door!

2) Do NOT buy pre-painted, Only purchase the Pre-stained or primed. Pre-painted from nearly all door companies have a 50% miss rate(ie roughness, drips, cracks, chipping, etc.) in my experience.

3) Do NOT buy hollow core, only Durocore, Solid core, Real wood(Pine) or Hardwood veneer.

4) Do not buy the doors in stock, in store if you are picky because these simply can't have the options I listed. If buying Doors in store at Menards understand what you are buying and be careful orderding custom. If you do not choose the correct options for the custom doors they may be no better than the in-stock doors as one person demonstrated in a video here. The jams were still particle board in his video. Some style doors do not offer the hardwood jambs, I say move on to another style door with the real wood jambs if you want better doors.

If you follow these rules yes, the door may cost near double, but you most likely won't be here complaining either!

Now for a front door, my advice is only buy from Mastercraft if you are going to add the 4-point locking system and if you like a 4-point locking system, I love it.

Nearly every installation related issue listed here for the exterior doors (excluding sliders) would be fixed by using this option. The cost is 374 bucks for the 4-point locking system and another 350.00 mandatory for one of their locks that they preinstall at the factory. That is over 700.00 added to any exterior door here.

Purchasing the 4-point locking system option dramatically reduces or 100% eliminates certain issues such as leaks, door misalignment, lock misalignment and not having mating left and right doors for double doors. The 4-point locking system is installed at the factory and dramatically reduces the type of complaints I read here to near zero. With the 4-point locking system Menards (Mastercraft) must test the door alignment, opening and closing, gaps, etc at the factory and they install the lock at the factory so there is no issue installing a lockset onsite. A door can't be misaligned and still work properly when it has 4 contact points, preinstalled and tested. If one door of a double door set using the 4 point locking system was bad at arrival Menards would have to send an entirely new set of two doors back to the client, not just one door.

We get what we pay for and research is needed, but to say all Mastercraft doors are junk because certain doors have particle board jams or a buyer would not return their doors or accepted a door less than perfect because returning is a hassle makes little sense. Menards takes EVERYTHING back, custom or not if you talk loud enough. All companies deliver doors that are not perfect at one time or another, trust me. Even a new custom door from another custom door maker costing over 6 grand had issues listed here for me!

If you use the options I listed for Mastercraft you will have a super high chance of great doors for less money, just not 50% off.

• HU-71560659
    6 months ago

Whats tricky is they call them engineered wood which can include many materials, my floors engineered wood and no such swelling issues with some humidiity

• K Kaz
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Our door leaked around where the window panel was installed into the center of the door. We had the same issue with the replacement we got after finally getting them to send us a replacement. The original door was over $1000, so it was not an inexpensive door. We ended up paying extra to have our contractor pull out the window part, seal it properly, and put the window back in place. It did not have to do with how the door was installed in the jam. The actual window on it was not properly sealed on either door. In my experience Mastercraft/Menards is not very concerned with quality control or customer satisfaction. Be forewarned.

• GBOY LANGER
    4 months ago

I recently purchased a interior double door for a closet for a basement project at my son's. We purchased it at Menards and let me tell you it was junk. Engineered wood is nothing more than sawdust and glue. That is what the frame was made of. Very brittle, breaks very easily. Stronger doors made with MDF frames can be purchased from Lowes. Strongly suggest Lowes over MasterCraft.

• 3onthetree
    4 months ago

Again, Mastercraft is just a Menards subsidiary building doors for the retail arm. They offer all ranges of jamb materials, but if you go to the store to pick up the cheapest prehung interior door off of the shelf, which is $99 as of today and cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes, you will be getting a molded skin over chipboard frame. Complaining about your choice of product when you are unaware you can spend more money for other choices is just rage bait.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler