Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shw001_gw

Installing Hardwood Flooring

shw001
11 years ago

A contractor is planning to install a solid oak floor by nailing the 2-1/2 inch oak strips (3/4 inch thick) into the subfloor (3/4 inch OSB), but NOT into the joists. I have always thought that the typical way to install the oak is to nail or screw them into the joists (through the subfloor). The reason the contractor wants to do it this way is that the joists under half the room go in a different direction than the other half and we want all the oak strips to go in the same direction as the rest of the floor. (My gut feel is that OSB will not hold the nails or screws tight enough, but I am not sure).

Is this type of installation sound enough to hold the oak flooring over many years of use in a kitchen?

Comments (10)

• terrybull
    11 years ago

as long as the sub flooring was installed right, there shouldnt be a problem. i always use staples on the wood flooring and they are not going anywhere.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

As long as the sub-floor is adequate and solid there is no reason to bother hitting the joists for hardwood strip flooring.

What does your floor manufacturer say about OSB?

• shw001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The flooring is tradditional oak hardwood 2-1/2 inch strips. I do not know the manufacturer. Probably from local lumber dealer.

• User
    11 years ago

Nailing into the joists causes all kinds of problems, actually. You want the flooring nailed/stapled into the subfloor only.

• User
    11 years ago

First, installing wood flooring in a kitchen is fraught with potential problems. Water damage is only one possible gotcha. Dropping pots/pans making dents, hot liquid spills marring the finish, and stains from spills are also probabilities.

however, stapling wood to the sub floor is the preferred method of installation. Cleats(a type of large nail with a hook on the head) are also effective. The reason those methods hold well is the number of fasteners used. I set my staples about every 18" for the maple flooring I installed in our house. Not a squeak or peep in four years.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"First, installing wood flooring in a kitchen is fraught with potential problems. "

It works just fine, and had for hundreds of years.

The flex remaining in a typical floor covered in wood flooring is also far easier on the knees, hips, and back to stand on for any length of time.
    Tile requires a far more solid floor, and large tile is about like standing on concrete all day.

You have to invest in soft mats to stand on.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Times are a-changin. Hardwood in a kitchen is no longer a no-no.

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

I love hardwood floors in kitchens.
    I make a living repairing damages to them.

• la_koala
    11 years ago

Dropping pots/pans making dents, hot liquid spills marring the finish, and stains from spills are also probabilities.

Isn't that what they call "patina"?!?

Whoops! I accidentally lost my mind and thought this was The Old House forum. ;-)

My parents have oak hardwood floors in their kitchen. Yes, there are some stains from all of those New England lobster pot dinners where dad was not so worried about where he dripped the water as he lifted the lobster out of the pot onto your plate. It helps that the house is > 100 years old, and the floors look quite at "home", as it were...

And I do love the fact that with hardwood floors, you can sand off all the "patina" and make it look brand spanking new if you want. I could not have done that with the old, cracked, 10-inch ceramic tiles as easily.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Dropping pots/pans making dents, hot liquid spills marring the finish, and stains from spills are also probabilities."

Or dropping pots/pans and cracking tile or hot liquids staining the grout.

A correctly finished floor is not going to get a lot of staining as long as you wipe up the mess.

Nothing is harder to stand on for any length of time than tile (except maybe concrete).

Wood floors work fine in kitchens.