Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please give me your comments on our proposed builtins

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 15:24

We have decided upon built-ins for our new family room and I'd like to get some opinions and suggestions.

Below is a scale drawing and a picture of our new space. I've also included an image from the web that we found very appealing which was the basis for the drawing.

I welcome any comments or suggestions for making this a standout. Thank you.

Sue

This is the drawing:
Photobucket

This is the new space (far wall with electronics connections)
Photobucket

Web Pic:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please give me your comments on our proposed builtins

Beautiful. Your proposed built-ins are very similar to what we had built last year. We love our cabinets and shelving. My suggestions are:
1. Consider building the bottom cabinets deep enough to hold all your components. Our open shelves on top are not as deep as our bottom cabinets.
2. Have shelves inside the cabinet that will slide out for ease of access
3. Consider doors that can open 90 degrees and slide back on tracks into the inside of the cabinet frame so the doors can remain open and not get in the way

Good luck!

o
RE: Please give me your comments on our proposed builtins

Thanks Molly.

The center unit will be 22" deep (we still have to check thedepth of our largest electronic) and the two sides will be 18" deep. The shelves on the sides will be 15" deep.

Lighting in the top, glass shelves within wood frames so the glass is not seen from the front.

I like the suggestion about slides for the cabs - we will on;y need this for the center cabs. Nice idea about the cab doors on tracks, however I think all the electronics that are used most often will be infrared but I have to check.

Tell me, have you any pictures of your builtins?

Thank you for your comments.
Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here