Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmorganl5

Silestone / Home Depot Warning

dmorganl5
11 years ago

About 10 years ago we remodeled our Kitchen in Virginia. We used about 150SF of Silestone, and loved it. No burns, no stains and no sealing. Great product.

So, when we got transferred to Atlanta, we wanted to use Silestone again in our new house. Our builder didn't offer it as an option, but he offered to get it from Home Depot and install it in the house. Not too long after we moved in, we noticed two problems on the same slab. There was a scratch (or a break) on one corner, and a discoloration in the middle of the slab.

Home Depot (subcontractor) came out and said they couldn't do anything about the scratch, but would take pictures of the discoloration and submit it to Cosentino (Parent company for Silestone). This is where the fun begins.

Cosentino refused to honor the warranty because I wasn't the "original purchaser" WARNING TO CONTRACTORS: If a home depot subcontractor installs a countertop for your clients and bills you for it, expect Consentino to hide behind the "original purchaser" clause to weasel out of honoring any warranty claim.

INSULT TO INJURY: Cosentino didn't even come out to look at the flaw. They informed us (through Home Depot) that even if they stood by the warranty, they don't honor "cosmetic defect" claims. AT THIS POINT I'M ASKING WHAT DO THEY COVER?? Net-net: the warranty is useless.

Finally, we expected some support from Home Depot. They didn't even try to be helpful, just kept repeating "it's our policy". If I hear that lame excuse one more time, I'll scream. After spending $5 - $10,000 with Home Depot every year for the last 20 years, the least they could have done is try to force Consentino to do the right thing.

I guess when you report over $ 1 Billion profit in a quarter, it's easier to hide behind legal mumbo jumbo and "corporate policy" than to take care of loyal customers.

If you're thinking or Silestone or Home Depot, I'd run the other way

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

and people wonder why I suggest staying the hell from HD and or Lowe's.

• handymac
    11 years ago

Gee, I've never had a problem with HD and problems---and I used to use 5 different stores.

The contractor should step forward and take the lead---as the 'original purchaser.

Then the problem should no longer be a problem.

• dmorganl5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My builder doesn't have standing, either. Once he sold the (new) house to me, he no longer owned it, and I was the "second" purchaser.

BTW - builder never touched it. HD (subcontractor) did the measure and install. All the builder did is write them a check.

• handymac
    11 years ago

BTW - builder never touched it. HD (subcontractor) did the measure and install. All the builder did is write them a check.

Then your builder is still the original purchaser.

An installer is liable for damage/problems that happen during installation. An installer is NOT a purchaser.

Someone had to sign off on the install---meaning they accepted the job. If you did not do that, the builder did.

You wrote----"Not too long after we moved in, we noticed two problems on the same slab. There was a scratch (or a break) on one corner, and a discoloration in the middle of the slab."

How long? Who accepted the installers job?

Everything still goes back to the builder.

I was a builder/contractor for several years. In that scenario, it was my responsibility to make sure all subs did their work correctly and used acceptable materials.

• Greg__R
    11 years ago

This is a classic tactic with warranty claims. What you need to do is have your lawyer send a letter. Most lawyers will do this very cheaply or for free (with the expectation that you'd hire them if the letter did not work). 95% of the time the company honors the claim after 1 letter.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Broadcast to the world SHOP AT AN INDEPENDENT and stay out of the big box stores.
    Consentino, shame all over you!

• EarlGrantham
    11 years ago

This is an interesting post for us. About 9 years ago we spent about $4,500 on Silestone tops through Home Depot. I am wondering if it is all about the quality of the sub-contractor. Our fabricator/installer was very professional. They required us to come to their site to view and select silestone slabs before fabrication (or sign a waiver about slab viewing). Additionally, we had to be there during installation. We got exactly what we selected and it was completed on schedule. We are very satisfied and want to add some more top area. This has held up very well, even with 6 kids. I discovered today that the subcontractor went out of business -- now I have more homework.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

These companies aren't impressed by threats of legal action. Once you have your lawyer send a letter you could spend years paying your lawyer to respond to their lawyer's letters and they will never respond to you again.

Hopefully the money you saved by using HD will fix the problem.

• kompy
    9 years ago

This is just why I am so dumbfounded at why so many people (some of my clients as well) will say, "I feel safer with a big box in case something goes wrong". More than likely, you'll get the manager blow off and pointing fingers.

As an independent dealership, I have my businesses reputation to uphold, or you know what? My family won't eat! I will go to bat and make things right for every client. I have long lasting relationships with my fabricators and sub-contractors....and they'll make things right too, or I won't use them.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

When I was in retail flooring business, I dropped a certain manufacturer that would not support their products. When the manufacturer's representative would come in to try and reestablish business, my refusal to do so with a list of reasons was met with silent blinking. What I expected was an apology, a discussion of the issues and fair compensation for profit lost due to material defects. I never got any of that and simply sold the products from manufacturers that would support their products.

Guess the reprentatives had a 'bottom line' to support and not the product or the customer.

• homebound
    9 years ago

On behalf of my client, I got three quotes for silestone countertops for a 10 x 10 kitchen renovation. There was zero cost savings with the HD pricing, but a lot more hassle dealing with their b.s. boilerplate customer protocols.

Deal with the fabricators, not middlemen like HD. (And some of the fabricators do hack workmanship, too, so you have to do your local homework.)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

"Cosentino refused to honor the warranty because I wasn't the "original purchaser"

This must be some sort of scam. Everyday, trades people purchase items to be installed in homes. The home owner get's the warranty.

• cruzinpattis
    9 years ago

This is a good warning.
    HD is good for picking up a screw or tool, but not a "major" product for the home. Aka - kitchen, bathroom, carpeting, flooring, countertops, the list goes on.