Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to remove a glue down wood floor?

Posted by darenka (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 14:44

Oh you remodeling wise ones--does anyone have any suggestions for removing a glued down wood floor? We were hoping it might be a floating floor--no such luck. I cannot just leave it because then the hallway would be 1/2-3/4 inch above the living room. I'd prefer not to go back to the sunken living room of the 70's. I just want a beautiful expanse of gorgeous wood floor throughout. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to remove a glue down wood floor?

What is it glued to?
With concrete you can usually pop it off.
With wood it is often easier to cut through the floor and the sub floor, strip to the joists, and lay a new sub floor.
Ripping it off from a wood layer will leave a rough surface that would require a new layer to smooth it (some of the sub floor usually comes up).

o

I had no idea how lucky I was to have it glued to concrete. I guess this means a trip to the hardware store to find a bigger pry bar--maybe mine is just too undersized. Well, while I'm doing jumping jacks on the pry bar, I'll say "at least I'm not replacing the whole sub floor". It's just another adventure in home destruction/improvement. Thanks for reminding me it could all be much worse. It just needs bigger tools! Of course, I am missing out on the chance to do some more destruction with the sawzall.

o

A wonder bad and a dead blow hammer will usually make short work (relatively) of a glue down.
Drive the 'hook' end of the bar under the flooring with the dead blow and then push the vertical part over (foot or hand).

o
reRE: Best way to remove a glue down wood floor?

Wonder Bar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here