Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxwe111

cost question -- getting rid of sliding doors

maxwe111
9 years ago

I'm about to create a new master suite in a room that has two sets of sliding glass doors. Ideally I'd like to keep one set, and close up the other ones.

Roughly (very roughly ok), what does this kind of thing cost? I am going to repaint the house after the project, so that part will be covered already. The house exterior is stucco.

I am in Oakland, so I know the job will be pricier than average, but I wanted a rough idea of what I'm in for. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
LS

Comments (13)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

DIY or contractor?

• maxwe111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely contractor. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

LS:

I'm gonna guess 4 grand or so.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If the contractor is legit, they will know this.

Is/are there a windows/s which will satisfy the light and ventilation requirements?

Because sliding glass doors, do not.

• aidan_m
    9 years ago

Are there Iron bars over the glass? In Oakland, things are done a little differently. It's more about survival of the fittest. Light, ventilation, and egress code violations are ubiquitous. People are more concerned with creating a defensible space.

Are you going to have permits? I certainly recommend them. Many contractors in that area do not know/follow the building codes because they are rarely enforced.

• maxwe111
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback -- that's helpful. I wanted a rough idea of my budget before I hire a contractor. Everything will be properly permitted. There are indeed other windows and proper ventilation--and no bars. "Defensible space" is not so much of an issue.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

I wouldn't think much over 1K would be reasonable.

Bedroom have very specific and unalterable egress requirements. Being aware of them prevents surprises.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Wow. Take THAT, Oakland! :P

• annzgw
    9 years ago

I think you're going to find the cost to be more in line withTrebruchet's quote. Work will include framing materials, drywall, insulation, probably some electrical work, plus the stucco. I think the stucco will end up being the most expensive, especially in labor.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

I'll stand by my estimate, in fact, I'd drive from OC to Oakland to do the job, except, that would be against my
    integrity.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The 2009 IRC allows sliding doors to count for light and ventilation and artificial light may be substituted. Your code may be different.

R303.1 Habitable rooms. All habitable rooms shall have an aggregate glazing area of not less than 8 percent of the floor area of such rooms. Natural ventilation shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other approved openings to the outdoor air. Such openings shall be provided with ready access or shall otherwise be readily controllable by the building occupants.

The minimum openable area to the outdoors shall be 4 percent of the floor area being ventilated.

Exceptions:

1. The glazed areas need not be openable where the opening is not required by Section R310 and an approved mechanical ventilation system capable of producing 0.35 air change per hour in the room is installed or a whole-house mechanical ventilation system is installed capable of supplying outdoor ventilation air of 15 cubic feet per minute (cfm) (78 L/s) per occupant computed on the basis of two occupants for the first bedroom and one occupant for each additional bedroom.
    2. The glazed areas need not be installed in rooms where Exception 1 above is satisfied and artificial light is provided capable of producing an average illumination of 6 footcandles (65 lux) over the area of the room at a height of 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor level.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I would just curtain it with insulating curtains and treat it like a wall/

• arkovd21
    9 years ago

DIY or contractor?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogger