Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who likes 1950s tile, anyway? (Paige....?)

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 12:32

How do you match tile on the internet? I need some of this:

for this:

and this:

and this:

better shot of texture of majority of floor and counter tile:

Half of this 50s bath makes me very happy. The other half makes me sad and a little bit grossed out. Paige, what's the texture on your spare tile? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who likes 1950s tile, anyway? (Paige....?)

Its all flat

o

Aww. Shucks.

o

Have you been to retrorenovation.com? Their forums might be a good place to look.

o

I wonder if you could find something at Nemo Tile to mix in. They have some color and texture that is close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nemo TIle

o

OOhhh! Yeah! Thanks for that. Some of those look perfect! Although they are on the wrong coast, I'll see if I can find 'em out here. I'm glad I clicked on their company info blurb. The punctuation is interesting, but I'm laughing about the gametes...

"Specializing in usable tiles, the New York based company, offers a myriad of options; which run the gamete of conventional materials such as stainless steel, glass, porcelain and stone, to the more unusual; and environmentally friendly, coconut shell tile."

Ah the famous Running of the Gametes. I think that was in a Woody Allen movie.

They have some beautiful stuff. I was thinking of trying out some terrazzo tiles for color, but now I need samples of these too!

o

Oddly enough some of my spare tile that I no longer need came from another house on the street by the same builder. I'm sure its a very long shot but maybe you're in a neighborhood that has the same bathrooms. In this case before this neighbor moved they gave me what was in their basement. Its funny but when I run into the present owner we discuss what color bathroom is still there.

o

No basements here, sadly. No secret stashes to be found. But yep, everyone had HAD the same bathrooms. The browny pink, the minty green, the white, or the yellow. Even the kindergarten at the elementary school has the same vanity with the same tile in yellow. (It's one of those newfangled subdivisions where the builder built the school at cost so it's integrated right down to the sink.) They seem to be pretty well-installed and durable but if you don't like the color, it's sure hard to ignore.

It's worth a shot though--I'll ask the community newsgroup if anyone has any, or a good match, or is ripping out their minty bathroom. Good idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here