Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your thoughts on this color choice?

Posted by f1668065 (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 11:55

I'm repainting my house and going for a light "beachy" look and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this new color choice called "Grey Button" for main house & chimney color?

FWIW, The window & door recesses, soffits & fascia and tops of the columns will be a bright white trim (not shown here).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your thoughts on this color choice?

Another angle

o

Color of roof deck on 2nd floor in back is little darker.

o

Too blue. The creamy yellow looks much better.

o

The word that came to mind is "nebulous"

Too nebulous for me! I live in Pacifica, land of everything "neb-"

I was out walking the other day and bumped my head on a house that color because I didn't see it in the fog.

o

LOL...Thanks, I appreciate your opinions...Keep 'em coming.
Here's a full view...

o

I really like it. I think the cream colour is boring.

o

I think both colors are too close to the roof and trim colors and will result in a very monolithic bland look. A 20-30% stronger pigment would look better yet still be light and suited to a sunny clime.

Is the stucco going to stay cement grey or will it be painted?

o

I also am in the camp of "it is too close in color to your roof". You need more contrast.

o

Thanks everyone!
Although my roof is decidedly a different color (white), my original inspiration came from this house from an article on ways to beach up your house. The article (see link below) states the houses "Stone-gray siding (the paint is Hailstorm by C2 [whoever they are]) is quintessentially coastal," but unless I can get an actual sample, how can I match it?

Yes, the stucco will be painted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool Ways to Beach Up Your House

This post was edited by f1668065 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:08

o

The difference is, that house has a decidedly gray roof. Your roof is white. And, the "blue" you have chosen, while not white when you look close, still looks the same as your roof.

There is greater contrast between the roof on your inspiration picture and the paint they chose. They also have quite a bit of trim and large windows and you have hardly any (visible) trim and small windows. You are working with 2 different animals here.

o

A lot of the older beach houses on the Gulf Coast are a light pastel yellow with white trim.

o

I think your house is beautiful and can take a more modern beach house theme such as this.
I think this scheme is perfect for your house and would look great with your landscaping!!
 photo Deluxe-Latest-House-Exterior.jpg
ultra safe colors are boring

o

I love soft, neutral beach colors like you're suggesting, but something about your house suggests a brighter color to me. If you tend to like grey, my suggestion is to start there but go a couple of shades darker and brighter, go for sort of a dusty pacific blue instead of a washed out light blue. It will still be reminiscent of the ocean, but it'll give you a little more pop - you need something to freshen the grey and white you already have.I think if you go in that direction it will really compliment the architecture of your house, and choosing a brighter blue that sets off the grey would transform the chimney. I agree with msjay2u that the house is great. I think the small windows and some of the other features were intentionally modern architectural features and the light color palette makes them sort of disappear and look odd and unimportant. Trying to turn a house with those strong lines into a cottage or beach house with paint is going to make it look like an odd cottage or beach house, but if you embrace it and go modern I think it will make the most of the bones that are there. I would focus on bringing the light, beachy colors you love inside instead, and then in the big picture a brighter exterior will be your accent.

There's this tv ad that comes to my mind, I think it's for tourism in Alaska? Anyway, there are these beautiful grey and snow capped mountains in the fog, and a bright sky with ice caps, and lots of shots of the ocean - there are so many beautiful shades of blue to draw from there, from a clear navy to pacific blue - i realize those colors are way darker than you're looking for, but even shifting in that direction a little, maybe just start adding 25% of one of those to grey and see how you like it.

Can you tell I love color? I'm suddenly in the mood to go paint something .. .

o

Thanks!

I got in touch with C2 Paint and bought a Take Home Color Chip for "Hailstorm" from the article & pic I referred to earlier. Here's a pic of the "Hailstorm" color chip compared to the "Grey Button" that I used on the house...

Thoughts?

o

That is going to look really handsome! The slightly richer pigment will make ALL the difference. Wait 'til you see how your roof and trim pop with this color! I like!

o

I like that it will look really nice with your roof

o

I like that it will look really nice with your roof

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here