Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

Your thoughts on this color choice?

f1668065
9 years ago

I'm repainting my house and going for a light "beachy" look and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this new color choice called "Grey Button" for main house & chimney color?

FWIW, The window & door recesses, soffits & fascia and tops of the columns will be a bright white trim (not shown here).

Comments (35)

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Color of roof deck on 2nd floor in back is little darker.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Too blue. The creamy yellow looks much better.

• aidan_m
    9 years ago

The word that came to mind is "nebulous"

Too nebulous for me! I live in Pacifica, land of everything "neb-"

I was out walking the other day and bumped my head on a house that color because I didn't see it in the fog.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL...Thanks, I appreciate your opinions...Keep 'em coming.
    Here's a full view...

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

I really like it. I think the cream colour is boring.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

I think both colors are too close to the roof and trim colors and will result in a very monolithic bland look. A 20-30% stronger pigment would look better yet still be light and suited to a sunny clime.

Is the stucco going to stay cement grey or will it be painted?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I also am in the camp of "it is too close in color to your roof". You need more contrast.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Although my roof is decidedly a different color (white), my original inspiration came from this house from an article on ways to beach up your house. The article (see link below) states the houses "Stone-gray siding (the paint is Hailstorm by C2 [whoever they are]) is quintessentially coastal," but unless I can get an actual sample, how can I match it?

Yes, the stucco will be painted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool Ways to Beach Up Your House

This post was edited by f1668065 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:08

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

The difference is, that house has a decidedly gray roof. Your roof is white. And, the "blue" you have chosen, while not white when you look close, still looks the same as your roof.

There is greater contrast between the roof on your inspiration picture and the paint they chose. They also have quite a bit of trim and large windows and you have hardly any (visible) trim and small windows. You are working with 2 different animals here.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

A lot of the older beach houses on the Gulf Coast are a light pastel yellow with white trim.

• msjay2u
    9 years ago

I think your house is beautiful and can take a more modern beach house theme such as this.
    I think this scheme is perfect for your house and would look great with your landscaping!!

ultra safe colors are boring

• elizabetheva
    9 years ago

I love soft, neutral beach colors like you're suggesting, but something about your house suggests a brighter color to me. If you tend to like grey, my suggestion is to start there but go a couple of shades darker and brighter, go for sort of a dusty pacific blue instead of a washed out light blue. It will still be reminiscent of the ocean, but it'll give you a little more pop - you need something to freshen the grey and white you already have.I think if you go in that direction it will really compliment the architecture of your house, and choosing a brighter blue that sets off the grey would transform the chimney. I agree with msjay2u that the house is great. I think the small windows and some of the other features were intentionally modern architectural features and the light color palette makes them sort of disappear and look odd and unimportant. Trying to turn a house with those strong lines into a cottage or beach house with paint is going to make it look like an odd cottage or beach house, but if you embrace it and go modern I think it will make the most of the bones that are there. I would focus on bringing the light, beachy colors you love inside instead, and then in the big picture a brighter exterior will be your accent.

There's this tv ad that comes to my mind, I think it's for tourism in Alaska? Anyway, there are these beautiful grey and snow capped mountains in the fog, and a bright sky with ice caps, and lots of shots of the ocean - there are so many beautiful shades of blue to draw from there, from a clear navy to pacific blue - i realize those colors are way darker than you're looking for, but even shifting in that direction a little, maybe just start adding 25% of one of those to grey and see how you like it.

Can you tell I love color? I'm suddenly in the mood to go paint something .. .

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I got in touch with C2 Paint and bought a Take Home Color Chip for "Hailstorm" from the article & pic I referred to earlier. Here's a pic of the "Hailstorm" color chip compared to the "Grey Button" that I used on the house...

Thoughts?

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

That is going to look really handsome! The slightly richer pigment will make ALL the difference. Wait 'til you see how your roof and trim pop with this color! I like!

• gothaml
    9 years ago

I like that it will look really nice with your roof

• gothaml
    9 years ago

I like that it will look really nice with your roof

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone!

I still haven't tackled this painting project and wanted to get feedback on some thoughts.

I was initially going with white trim color for both soffits & fascia as well as door & window recesses.

However, since the roof is white, what do you think about using the "Grey Button" (lighter grey) for trim and the "Hailstorm" (slightly richer pigment) as main color?

That said, I've also run into an issue at this over-hang area in the picture..I'll post a newer pic as a follow up and discuss my issue.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My issue is...I initially wanted to paint the bottom half of the columns the house color i.e. "Hailstorm" and pain the top half of the columns the trim color i.e. white.

That said, with the white roof, what color would you paint the following areas:
    1) Fascia where the sloped roofs overhang, which goes down all across front of house?
    2) The soffit at the top of the columns?
    3) The front porch "ceiling"?
    4) Columns?

This post was edited by f1668065 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 10:51

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here ya' go...

This post was edited by f1668065 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 10:57

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

You know that grey button with a blue tinge might look nice on your porch overhang.

Here is a photo of a medium grey house with lighter grey trim and a dark door (but warm tones).
    {{gwi:2136848}}

I lean toward keeping the trim a bright white.
    Here is a grey house with white trim and some turquoise.

{{gwi:2136849}}

[Tropical Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2108) by Sarasota Architects & Building Designers Clifford M. Scholz Architects Inc.

Would you consider a bright front door or maybe even a bright chimney?

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The white roof is what's making me lean away from the white trim.

I'm looking at a bronze or white front door like this with privacy glass but the glass is more opaque and smooth with no ridges.

As for the chimney, I was thinking the same color as the house like the pic, which inspired me but I'm open to suggestions...I just don't want the chimney to be white like the roof.

This post was edited by f1668065 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 11:42

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Between the two, my vote would be for the bronze (more contrast for the front door).
    Bright white trim.
    Hailstorm house.
    Blue or blue-grey on the underside of the porch ceiling.
    Less red mulch, more brown (red is going to soon clash with your cool grey house).

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Yes, I also like the bronze door. ;) I re-painted the front porch lights bronze.
    What would you do with the columns & chimney?

Don't get me started on blue-grey. lol I've been actually thinking of doing the house in blue-grey so I picked up a sample of Behr "Biscayne Bay". ;)

This post was edited by f1668065 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 12:48

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FWIW, I did the front entry interior living room in BM "Normandy", which I love and looks great with a white ceiling but I'm thinking is probably a too dark for the exterior house.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

FWIW, here in coastal FL, beach homes tend to be pastel colors: pale creamy yellows, earthy pinks, minty greens & aquamarine blues - or white w/ those colors as trim...

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!
    This I know. :) I'm in coastal Florida but not really looking for pastel colors. Although, I did consider a creamy yellow at one point but didn't like it.

BTW, is that a grey house with white trim on the left? ;)

This post was edited by f1668065 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 16:54

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

The house I posted was in Florida, too! I suspected that's where you were :)

I think the white trim will look nice with the white roof, just my humble opinion.

Biscayne bay looks like it could be REALLY nice.

I've seen some darker-medium dark grey houses popping up in Sarasota but not too many.

Light grey with white roof, white trim. Notice the blue/grey toned driveway and lack of reddish in the landscaping.

{{gwi:2136851}}

Notice their grey reads light but is clearly darker than your first try. Exterior colors get a bit washed out looking especially in bright sunlight.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 13:14

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I think that house on the far left IS a pale bluish grey w/ white trim.

Was thinking of this thread as I drove around town today & saw some pale greeny blue houses w/ white trim - so pale it looked grey.

Sherwin Wiliams site has this 1 called 'Timid Blue'...

{{gwi:2136843}}

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me! ;)
    I like that...Timid blue but is it just me or does look more green than blue. It's probably me, I've seen samples of several colors named "something blue"...but they look green to me. Don't get me wrong, my favorite color is green but a lot of the houses around me are some shade of green...or cream/yellow/beige, for that matter so I'm trying to stay away from those.

I obviously like grey and blue-grey...Just don't want anything that looks "Baby Blue".

Other grey and blue-grey colors I'm considering...
    Behr Polar Drift...

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted...

This post was edited by f1668065 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 11:31

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Behr Blue Grey Sky...

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BM Pebble Beach

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Thinking the bluish grey (Polar Drift) would be nice - I like the idea of a sky/water element to the color...

• Jenny
    9 years ago

I would do a brighter color like others have suggested. I think bold would look good. What about navy blue and then a pop of lime green on the front door? I love the light beach houses that have inspired you, but your house is a completely different style. Looking back through the posts, it looks like maybe you decided on the dark gray? I can't tell for sure. I hope it turns out to your liking! :)