Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justaskin

Front entry advice needed for tudor style home

Justaskin
10 years ago

Hi, new to Garden Web. Wondering if I might get some good advice on the architecturally correct way this entry should be before we begin any remodeling planning. We have had no luck finding an original photo or plan and the current entry dormer/gable doesn't appear to all be original as is according to the carpenter/contractor that checked it out for us. I don't think it's attractive, looks rather awkward, seems to be missing something overall. The area has a historical district designation and the building/planning department is quite firm that homes must be remodeled or upgraded according to the original architecture. Which is what attracted us to this neighborhood, lots of integrity within the city and area, so we want to work with them and do it right. It was built in 1924, all interior original floor and woodwork is unpainted oak, deep casing and floor trim, stained/leaded glass windows in some areas. Circa 1960s and 1990s big 2 story addition put on back and will eat up 99% of our budget to get it all redone structurally and aesthetically correctly, but the entry is first impression and not sure where to start. My thought was to pull out the entire area over the door, either brick in an entire traditional tudor style arch or just to eliminate the awkward little non-fuctional portion but that's just a preliminary thought and it starts to get very expensive the more I think!! I'm not really sure if this is a 'true tudor' anyway, though have been told it is. Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Comments (3)