Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfinnegan123

Replace or Reface Cabinets

bfinnegan123
10 years ago

My husband and I just purchased a new home and while the existing cabinets are very nice Wood-mode ones that are only 5 years old I really hate the color. Everything right now is Beige and we plan to paint the walls a dark slate gray in the living room which opens into the kitchen, replace the kitchen back splash (currently plastic) with white subway tiles and grey grout, install a farmhouse sink and a larger range (reconfiguring some of the cabinetry to do so) and ideally make the cabinets white, while salvaging the existing floors and counters. We can't seem to find anyone in our area who will Paint cabinets and from what I've read thats not a great option as after a few years the paint will chip. I looked into refacing but again I was told that starts to peel away after only a few years and may not actually achieve the look we want as the entire cabinet won't be brown just the sides and the doors so the seam between the doors which is visible would still be brown. I would like to just spend the $ replace the cabinets and get it right the first time so we don't have to do this again down the road. Can someone please tell me what we should expect to spend if we replace the cabinets? I saw on some forums people have been quoted as much as 80K for new cabinets which is just not possible for us. I attached a picture for reference but there are additional cabinets on the other side including a large pantry.

Comments (2)