Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of professional do I need to hire for this planning?

Posted by missjulied (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 10:34

Looking to do some work in part of my basement that would involve the following:

- Dig down 2-3 feet
- Foundation work to support the new depth
- Moving/adding to plumbing system to support a move of the laundry room to the new area
- Rough-in of plumbing and electric for future bathroom
- Switching to a gas water heater (we do have gas to the house for heat and stovetop already)

It seems to me that I need someone with the following skills:
- Architectural/Design: would one spot be better than another for the laundry room? For the bathroom? How about a hallway? Where should doors best be?
- Engineering: what considerations need to be made with the new foundation? What if we wanted extra support for a potential future hot tub above this area?
- Plumbing: where would the best spots be to put plumbing to hook up with the current system? Where would the best spot for the water heater be?

Optimally it would be great to get a plan and a cost range, but if we just got plans we could get some estimates from contractors afterwards.

I have NO IDEA how to find someone to help with this planning. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of professional do I need to hire for this planning

A competent contractor can advise you on the generalities of the project as a whole to determine if it's feasible within your budget. The location of the main drain and outlets will have the most effect on where a bath or laundry would be suitable to place. Digging a new basement, even a partial one, will not be an inexpensive project no matter how it's engineered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here