Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scullery_gw

Narrow bedrooms

scullery
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have a 22.5 x 22 space in an addition that I am looking to split into two bedrooms. For various structural reasons, the space will be divided exactly in half, leaving just 11 feet of width per side. One of the rooms has a roof slope running along its long (22 ft) exterior wall, so I can probably eke out a little more width with recessed dormers. The other, however, is pretty well stuck at 11X22 feet. My feeling is that the rooms will look like boxcars. I would like to build walk-in closets along the short interior wall, leaving rooms that are about 11x15. The closets would allow most of the storage to be concealed, so that the furniture in the main room would be minimal, and the narrow width would be de-emphasized. My husband thinks it's better to have more space in the room itself, to counter the limited width. Thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (4)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

11x15 is a large enough room. You don't need to have any more space in the room, imo. A bed is about 7' long, so you will still have 8 feet of "extra floor space". Plenty.

• fynite
    10 years ago

11' x 7' seems big for a walk in even. I would think about if you could do a 7' x 7' for each, and put a 7' x 8' jack and jill bath between the walkins. I assume the even split is that you need a load bearing wall there, but maybe you could span part of it with a beam?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If you'd like, post up your whole (local area) floor plan and we can play with the dimensions for you. Post what you have, and what you were thinking.

I just did a gut remodel of a 20x20 space (started out 20x20) and so I've played with these dimensions quite a bit. But, "the answer" will lie in your restrictions--if you need a support wall (or if you have spanning trusses, so it can be open); where you have the ability to put windows (I assume only at the far end, since you have knee walls and angled ceilings); how you access the space (will you need "hall area"), etc.

• scullery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I do need that support wall to be solid because it's one of the few structures between the roof up above and a large beam preserving open space below. However, it turns out it doesn't have to be centered, so I'm playing with giving 12 feet of width to one side and only 10 (full height) to the other, with an additional 2 ft of space angling down to a 5 ft height before the knee wall starts. You are correct, Kirkhall, the big problem is that the room with the angle has no ability to put in a window along either long wall, so I'm concerned it will feel like a tunnel. We're now looking at a skylight, which could help a lot. Access to the rooms has been tricky. Basically, we're trying to get into an addition that's being built behind an existing bathroom on the rear of the house. The hallways are already weirdly crooked, including an existing captive bedroom where you enter in one corner and exit diagonally across (it's being converted to a laundry room sometime down the road). One of the new bedrooms is easy to get into, but the other requires a sort of alcove off the hall. It's not the end of the world, it's just awkward. The smart thing, if we had unlimited funds, would be to move the bathroom; it would realign those odd hallways and give us more bathroom space into the bargain. However, the bathroom was beautifully remodeled the year before we bought the house, so it's painful to gut it, and we've already had to cut some things that we care about more than straight hallways, like sacrificing a full basement for a crawlspace. I'm making sure we design things in a way that will allow us to move the bathroom in the future, in the (admittedly unlikely) event that we have enough money to get that far down on the list. I'll see if I can post a floor plan, but I've discovered that most suggested changes create a domino effect with the structural beams in the space below. The second floor rooms are a kid bedroom on one side and a guest bedroom on the other, so they're lower priority than those public spaces.

This post was edited by scullery on Sat, May 18, 13 at 18:20