Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st floor bath

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 10:17

Have 1-1/2 story house. 30x30 ft. Put on dormer yrs ago with 3 bedrooms and bath. 1st lvl had 2 bedrooms but we turned 1 into dining room and 2nd is office. We have full bath on 1st floor which is awkward since we sleep upstairs. 1st floor bath needs remodel. It's tired. Would it be a bad idea to tear out tub and make it a 1/2 bath? I am not sure of next owners wishes. It's a smallish house for 4 bedrooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st floor bath

I am about to remove the downstair full bath and replace it with two half baths in different locations. One is under the main stairs and near the living room, The other half bath is near the back entry. Why have the kids tracking through the house just to pee.

o

I think it would be a bad idea. Even if someone else moved in and only used the office as a guest bedroom, the ability to bathe would be important for that bathroom.

Also, should you end up with a temporary disability, you will also value that bath. I injured my back a couple years ago (at the ripe age of 29). I wasn't walking up the stairs to do anything, let alone bathe.

Full disclosure: I also have a 1 1/2 story house. It will have 3 bedrooms up and 2 baths up when we finish our addition. We are keeping our full bath downstairs.

o

Do u have bedroom on 1st floor? We have very nice sunroom off of dining room with sliding door so dining room is never going away. Home office has closet so it easily could be bedroom again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here