Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ang24_gw

Can I remodel this house?

Ang24
10 years ago

I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right forum and if I'm not please tell me where I should post this in. I'm torn between building a house and remodeling my great-grandfather's house. Ever since I started looking for a house, I kept going over the fact that the happiest I've ever been has always been in my papaw's (great-grandfather) house and that house hasn't been lived in since he died in 1999, even then it was completely going down hill. This house as you can see has no formal foundation, it sits on cement blocks, the whole house would need new plumbing (the bathroom and kitchen were added like 15 years after it was built), it has no up to date septic system. The kitchen is completely falling in on itself and needs to be rebuilt, basically the only room that is still in good condition is the main square room that all rooms were added on to at later dates. My fiance says the land is too "marshy"(he says he sinks when he walks on it, I don't though except when it rains) and wouldn't be good to build on, because when we build the foundation I'd like to add a basement. My whole family says its not worth it to redo the house that, eventually, it'll just fall in or be torn down. It breaks my heart to think that it can't be saved. I'm asking, am I crazy and my family is correct to say that it can't be saved? Plus I can't even build and use parts of the house to keep the memory because my grandmother doesn't want the house torn down right now, though she said a long time ago they wanted to restore the house but decided it wasn't worth the money to put into it. So should I?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living