Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pulling up and re-laying hardwood flooring

Posted by kiki_redo (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 9:19

some friends have offered us 600 sq ft of 4" oak hw flooring. they said it is 4 years old, was "incorrectly installed" and pulls up easily. they told us that the person who will install their new hw floor said it would be usable. it's apparently in good condition, looking at the surface.

i'd like to try and use it, we just bought a house and after steam cleaning, pet urine problems that were not apparent before suddenly became very apparent, so i'm looking at replacing nearly a whole house of flooring - so free seems like a nice price ;)

it is nailed down, can i pry it up? After I pry it up, can i get the nails out of it without tearing up the tongue and groove part?

how do i figure out which side of the room to start taking it up? I know it's directional. I have a multi-tool, some prybars, hammers. is 600 sq feet something that an amateur could take up in a day?

TIA for your advice -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pulling up and re-laying hardwood flooring

T&G flooring is nailed through the tongue, so you want to start at the wall /edge which the tongues face. The last boards would have been nailed in from the face with finish nails. You will no doubt spoil these first boards in getting them out. A cat's paw nail puller and a flat bar will be useful in getting the flooring up. The fewer tongues you spoil, the better.
600 sq ft would be a very long day. You would not be able to get the wood ready for transport in that time. You will need to carefully pull all the nails so that they don't damage the face of the wood. If you let the flooring get wet, it will be quite ruined, as it will warp, and the nails will stain.
If it's nice wood, it could be quite a nice project, but by the end you alone can judge whether your time was worth it.
Casey

o

casey, thank you for the information. i really appreciate it!

what is the best way to remove the nails? hammer them back out, pull with pliers? can they be nipped off somehow?

o

Hi,
If it's just 4 years old it was put in with staples of floor cleats. Stapes may be impossible to remove from the wood, so would be nipped off flush or ground off. Cleats could be pulled through the wood with pliers, or cut off. Old-time square flooring nails have to be driven back out the way they came in. Really good old flooring nails I like to straighten and reuse.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here