Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I wait to remodel until I'm back at work?

Posted by Tracy5305 (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 9:04

I have been planning a major bathroom remodel since I bought this house 10 years ago. I am finally getting the peices together and the contractor is available in 4 weeks. I will be off for the summer with my 2 kids. We are very busy in the summer at the pool, camps, activities. We are in and out of the house. We have 3 bathrooms so the kids can use the one downstairs. My questions is: Should I hold off the remodel until I go back to work in August? I hate the idea of people being at my house all day when I'm here, but I really want to get this done. It might be nice to be here and available to the contractor and the subs, but the noise may drive me up a wall.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I wait to remodel until I'm back at work?

I think it depends on how available you'll be to stop in and check on things once the kids are back in school and you're back to work. If your fall schedule is such that you'll be out of the house and an hour away before the contractor gets there, and not home until after he's gone, I don't think I'd wait until fall. If it were me, I'd want to do it during the summer, while I'm around to keep an eye on things and make quick decisions when presented with them. But I'm a bit of a control freak.

Also, I don't know the scope of your work, but it shouldn't be as noisy as, say, framing and roofing a new build. There will be noise with demo, and with whatever small amount of carpentry and drywall has to be done. The noisiest will likely be the tile saw, but you might be able to have that set up outside.

o

I'd say you should just get it done, you've been planning it for 10 years! A bathroom remodel, even a major one shouldn't take longer than a week, he'll be in and out.

If you didn't have other bathrooms to use, then it would be a different story.

o

Get it down now while you are available to make the decisions on site. Or, wait until the fall, but add another 3 weeks to the timetable to account for the times that the contractor needed a response from you but your schedule wouldn't let that happen so he moved on to another project to keep his workers busy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here