Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drladym

Wall push out feasibility and cost

DrLadyM
9 years ago

Hello there, we are considering buying this house however it has a great room that is too small. The house is two-story with the second story only over the front portion of the house and the great room is a two-story great room that is open. The bottom floor is concrete block construction and the top floor is frame over that. That is very common here in Florida. The great room has a two story wall with windows that you can see in the picture. There is existing roof over the area that we wanted to expand in to. We want to bring the wall out where you can see that lounge bed thing to be level across with those sidewalls. It is a push out of about 10 feet. Again there's already roof over that area and concrete block sidewalls so a new wall would need to be constructed to fill that area in and the old wall removed. Do you think this is feasible? Also if you had to guess an approximate cost what would you think? Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Ask a local contractor.

We're just pixels on the Internet.

• DrLadyM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know, I know. Just trying to get a general idea.. :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Dr.LadyM:

Speaking as a licensed Florida building contractor, it certainly is feasible, but cost effective may be another matter.

While I don't bid jobs off pictures on the internet, it would be safe to suppose that you could remove the lower windows easily because I'm betting the concrete lintel above them is continuous. The top windows not so much.

You could then install an atrium style bump out on the lower level that may fool you into feeling like the great room is larger. Probably 30-40K.

On second thought, remove all the windows, finish the openings, and install a non-structrual glass wall from floor to ceiling 10 feet away. The trick here is to avoid the structural work but make the room look and feel bigger. If you're in a hurricane zone your glazing expenses just skyrocketed. If we have to tint the windows to keep your light pollution from fooling the baby sea turtles into heading the wrong direction, the boosters on your skyrockets just kicked in.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, May 20, 14 at 11:54

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Move on to another house that fits your needs better from the beginning.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Move on to another house that fits your needs better from the beginning."

That is usually good advice, but inventory is at historic lows in Florida, making turning something into what you want more viable.

• DrLadyM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah that's really the issue. To get something perfect for me I either have to build or remodel. Land is scarce and this house is on 2.7 acres. You just can't find empty lots of that size around here.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

why not just take out all the lower story windows to make one big opening under one header and create just a one story extension? You'd need a new roof over the one story area but probably cheaper than trying to remove and rebuild a 2 story wall. From the inside the "alcove" created by the one story bumpout would be a whole lot cozier than a 2 story great room and facilitate many uses of that room.

• DrLadyM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't you think it would be possible to just build a new wall which would support the roof before knocking down the old one? Or supporting it with beams or something until the new wall is done? I would really like to maintain the 2 story great room. Hard to visualize what just an expansion of the lower part would look like. Plus it can only be pushed out about 10 feet so I think it would be weird to have most of the room 2 story and a third of it not.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

DrLadyM:

With the right budget, nearly anything is possible. When you get the number for what you just described, the alternatives presented are going to look a whole lot better.