Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sal2014_gw

Fireplace decision -- trusting contractor

sal2014
9 years ago

Hi, it is really hard for me to make the decision as I do not how how much cost me further to remodel my home.
My current chimney made with blocks ( perhaps ( 60 yrs old) Part of the remodel was to extend the chimney with block with bracing. The chimney will extend to up 14 feet higher. ( we added second floor) Current fireplace is wood and have went for the water heater.
Now, my contract is saying- it is better to destroy the chimney or rebuild with brick or have gas fire place. I came up with the gas fire place option as it does not cost too much ( upon research) however now the contractor came up with $6400 to do the following work. I am in the middle of dilemma to make the decision.
I am thinking to I ask him destroy chimney, and replace the water heater with vent and leave mantel and hearth as it is, and when I have enough budget I will Replace fire place with nice mantel. But I am not sure this the right decision. Here is contractor suggested.
If we remove the chimney and the fireplace hearth would dispose of all the materials
�install a zero clearance fireplace with 2400 allowance
� install a 75 gallon direct vent water heater that would serve the house better than the old one
�build a mantle for the fireplace
� frame; sheetrock; and insulate the area where the wall from fireplace came out. and make ready for paint.

Thank you