Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about replacing door with 2x6 framing

Posted by roorezzi (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 8:46

We have 2x6 framing and all the doors in the store are made for 2x4 construction. We are looking to replace our front door because there has been some rotting from the previous owners lack of care.

Anyway - one big box store said we were looking for special order and the price would just about double.

Another big box store said they sell extension kits to extend the frame and sill plate to fit the 2x6 framing.

Is this really do-able or not??? Pros and Cons??? Any do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about replacing door with 2x6 framing

I'm not sure I understand the problem unless you are looking at pre-hung doors. A front door swings in. You hinge on one side and build a stop frame with one bys. My front door is 2" thick and the frame is 2 X 6. I haven't ever heard of front doors being built for only 2 X 4 frames.

o
RE: Question about replacing door with 2x6 framing

The standard throat/frame size of all residential door and window frames is 4 9/16" but 6 9/16" is always available for a small additional cost. If the store wants too much for the larger frame depth you should try a supplier that sells to professionals.

Since an inswing door frame is set to the interior face of the exterior wall, the big issue is the exterior projection of the threshold. If an extension is offered you must be sure it is adequately detailed and attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here