Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgkirk_gw

Convert versus Expansion

pgkirk
9 years ago

Hi,
I would like a bigger Master Bedroom/Bath. Which would take less time and/or more cost effective...expand the current Master wall and associated foundation (house is a ranch) or convert the two-car garage (hot water tank is in garage and it is on a slab)? The Master Bedroom is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Can you show a floor plan?

And what would become the garage?

• pgkirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not have the floor plan yet. I'm torn between expanding the existing wall of the MBR out to make it bigger or converting the 2-car garage. The garage conversion would result in a MBR with a MBA. It is a very small house (1,324 SF).

• Fori
    9 years ago

I don't know but if you convert the garage to living space, that house has a really good chance to go from classy to trashy. It has to be done VERY carefully.

Can you put an addition in the back?

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

By expanding the existing master, you are mainly adding additional sf to the house. Are you also planning master bath, master closet, etc? As long as it's done tastefully - you don't want the addition to look like a shoebox sticking off the side of the house - you will have added a bit of value to your house.

If you convert the garage, where will the cars go? What will become of the current master bedroom? Does your zoning/septic allow the additional bedroom? Are garages desirable in your area? Which adds more value - garage or additional bedroom?

To do the conversion correctly, you'd need to remove the garage doors, and re-landscape so the driveway no longer goes up to the garage. Otherwise, as fori says, you will quickly go from classy to trashy.

• pgkirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These questions are exactly what I am struggling with. It is a small ranch and adding another bedroom would be great. If we convert the garage, we will build another garage on the opposite side of the house. However, that screws the layout...ie, the access to the front door and the existing driveway. Increasing the size of the existing MBR would be easier (I guess), but is still results in the house being a 3/2. The current MBA is fine where it is, though it is also small. I'm bringing in some contractors to get their ideas too.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Can you extend the hallway (by cutting thru the bedroom at the end of the hall), build a new master, and change the existing master to just another bedroom?

• pgkirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pixie Lou, that is my preference. We have a lot of land space next to the existing master wall. The back wall (hallway) is one bedroom to the left and the master to the right. I'm assuming the price tag and time to will high.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

What's the cost to simply upgrade to a different home that's larger? There are certainly transaction costs in doing so, but those plus the increased home value may be less than the cost of an addition.

• pgkirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really love this house but need more space.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You should also call in a realtor to get their opinion of what would be best. Even though I am hearing you aren't interested in moving, having their opinion of what would be better in your area is very valuable. The contractors will do anything you ask and pay them to (and sometimes only what you ask, and not what is best or better).

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Have you thought about going up?

• pgkirk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Debra K,
    No. I'm old and can't do stairs anymore. Out is my only option.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths