Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing Brick Exterior

Posted by Deb-Designs (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 8:19

Hi. We are curious about the possibility of changing the front brick elevation of our home. It is currently brick, but we would like a different color. We understand you can paint brick, but prefer not to do that. Any insight on doing this, how do you do it, potential pitfalls?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing Brick Exterior

It's never cost effective to muck about with a home's bones. Brick is is an attractive upgraded look. Work with it. Post pics for suggestions.

o

If you home is brick veneer--in other words, a frame home with brick attached, which has been the standard for 50 years--it's a relatively straightforward job to remove and replace with a different brick or stone. It's just not cheap and usually only makes economic sense on a very high-end home.

Once you apply paint to brick, you've gone from a low maintenance system to one that requires regular retouching and repainting to avoid looking rundown.

Here's the "after" shot of a large but boring 1960s brick home whose veneer brick was replaced by stone and stucco, copper highlighting, a stone porch and high-end landscaping. (Sorry the "before" shot remains stuck in my head.)

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, May 25, 14 at 12:09

o

Try having the brick cleaned. It's amazing what a good cleaning can do to the appearance.

o

I am glad to hear your brick cleaned up well. Our home is faced with brick that has been 'melting' away in the 30 years of installation..obviously poor quality. So instead of stucco, we have opted to reface our wood framed home surfaces with tile backer board and the scraps from the kitchen counter-top fabricators with thin-set and sealant. This gives us the same uniform thickness with a natural product and keeps waste from the landfill or increased energy use in down-cycling to ground up DG. The scrap is free material if you have a system to collect and are aware of the weight/safety factors. After 3 months of collection every Saturdary, we saved the fabricator over 2,500.00 in dump charges. Here are some applications to using scrap: placement on concrete block or cement slab substructure for murals, on backerboard with less than 4 ft height limitations (I haven't tested for higher than that in earthquake country). If you want to see more pictures, you can respond on this forum. There are definite guidelines for artistic installations when you have limitations to size and shape of the scrap. We really like the product and it is using a waste stream resource. The only draw back is you have to like a shiny surface for your home, you may reflect on that.

o

This is the 4 ft wall we replaced, sorry the work place isn't cleared yet.

o

and the cement bench/retaining wall. Considering i did the work myself, my costs are about 1.5-2.00/square foot of assembly. Hope that helps.

o

How creative! Though not for everyone.

o

Thank you, Yes the labor involved was significant, but when you are cash strapped and time rich...it makes for good conversation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here