Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
optimist999

Simple perspective drawing of proposed remodel?

Optimist999
11 years ago

Is there a site that will give me one of those 3-D perspective drawings of my proposed remodel, if I enter basic measurements? (There is a specific name for those drawings--maybe "elevation"?-- but I forget it.)

If not a site, maybe some software I can download?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

floorplanner.com has worked for me in the past. It is free, and has a little bit of a learning curve. But, not too much, as I don't have the patience for combing through help files.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Google sketch up has a free version that has some cool features. The learning curve is achievable, but not instant.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Chief Architect isn't free, but it's a "standard" within the industry if you really want to plan something and communicate with the professionals who will be doing the work. The free Sketch Up version isn't bad either, but it does have a learning curve. Plenty of pros use the upgraded version too.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

A perspective is a 2 dimensional drawing technique where parallel lines converge toward one or two vanishing points to simulate depth and create the appearance of a 3 dimensional view even though it is on a flat 2 dimensional plane like a piece of paper or a computer screen. A computer can redraw the perspective so fast that it can create the illusion of moving around in a virtual 3D model.

An elevation is a 2 dimensional scaled drawing of an interior wall or an exterior facade of a building. Depth in the 3rd dimension can be simulated with shading that mimics shadows.

Sketch Up is what I use because it uses lines to create planes and extrusions of 2D shapes to create the illusion of a 3D building shell instead of requiring me to select building elements and size them in a database format. I like to have the same hands on experience with a computer perspective as I would with a hand drawn perspective; I want to be able to design while drawing. Designing and drafting may look similar but they are two very different tasks.

If you are not going to take classes to learn a CAD program, I recommend using the free version of SketchUp and watching a lot of YouTube tutorials.

• erinsbee1
    11 years ago

I say go to your local Home depot, Lowes,home improvement store or cabinet place, and they will draw you up plans that are 3D Free... it takes maybe 1/2 an hour and you will also receive a price for the cabinets, countertop etc.. I have been to about 5 different places in the past month, and you wouldnt believe the differences in pricing!

• Optimist999
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, erinsbeel, Renovator8, et al. All useful info, and will follow up on all of it.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

I am just now using Floorplan.com too and find it easy and very helpful. They include icons for pieces of furniture, cabinets, windows, etc. that you can place on the floorplan.