Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going up? How much is necessary?

Posted by BradleySmall (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 8:05

I want to put a storage loft in an area with a 12 foot span.

The studs are 2x4 and exposed. The intuitive thing would be to simply lag 2x6 to each of the 2x4 wall studs that are 16 on center, and cover the thing with plywood.

Using the calculator here http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp

It shows that I can do 2x8 at 16" oc for a span of 12' 7". This raises a few questions for me, if someone will indulge:

1. Would it be best to put up one 2x8 at 64 inches out and then use joist hangers on 2x4 or 2x6 lumber for the shorter span (64") or simply put up 2x8 for the full span?

2. Will it be sufficient to lagbolt the 2x8 to the 2x4 wall studs or will I need to add an additional jackstud under each of the 2x8 as well?

3. Would it be better to do this like an outside deck, in that I would put a 2x8 against the wall studs on both sides and span the loft area using joist hangers?

Is there another (better/easier) way I have not thought of yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going up? How much is necessary?

Nail a 2x8 ledger to the studs on both ends and 1x8 joists between. Joist hangers or a 2x10 ledger with a 2x2 support underneath. Lags are overkill use 16p spikes

o

You need to look at joist span tables based on the load you expect to place on the loft.

o

Here is a better calculator because it starts with the span and gives you the member size.

You shouldn't need 2x8's unless the live load is greater than 20 PSF. What are you putting up there?

Here is a link that might be useful: better calculator

o

Nice calculator, but it still says I need 2x8 for 12' span.

I am not sure what specific things will go up there. Perhaps wood, perhaps old hand tools, scrap metal, old motors, locks, books, packiaging materials, paper records. Who knows. At this point I need merely to not waste space. I have precious little enough, and having such an area not utilized would feel foolish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here