Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parke342_gw

Well that didn't go well...splintered cabinet

parke342
10 years ago

We just bought our first home and are trying to improve the look of the kitchen, on a budget. One of our first moves was to try to remove the cabinets over the sink. However we could find no screws, and decided instead to just remove the decorative piece under the cabinet over the sink. Unfortunately, a bit of hammering on that caused the frame of the neighboring cabinet to splinter (see pics below).

We are pretty upset about damaging these cabinets -- I think they are ugly, but they are oldschool quality and are in really good shape. We were already thinking about painting or staining, and now I think we have to, to cover up the fixed crack.

So -- do you agree? Do we basically have to paint or stain now? If we stain, I assume we will have to go darker to hide the mark (I also want to switch out the hardware to vertical pulls so we will have holes filled with wood filler to cover). If we paint, I assume white would still hide what we need it to hide.

If anyone has other suggestions for cheaply improving this kitchen I am open to them! Sadly, it seems that we have to leave the cabinets up unless we want to demo them all (not in the budget). I was hoping to open up that space around the window a bit...

Comments (12)

• parke342
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the splintered cabinet....its right next to the decorative piece over the sink. This picture is sideways but you get the idea.

• User
    10 years ago

They have a certain charm as is. They fit a 60's ranch house perfectly. I wouldn't do anything with them at all until you are ready to do a complete (and style sensitive) remodel. Fill the crack with stainable wood filler and use some marker pens to disguise it. And then leave well enough alone. If you want to practice DIY skills, practice on something else first.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

What holly said. The decorative trim is probably glued into place, along with some recessed nail or screws. If you were able to remove it, you'd most like have to deal with rough, damaged areas where there was adhesive.

I'd leave it alone, and instead replace the light with something more decorative.

There have to be screws somewhere holding the cabinet up. If you want to make a second attempt, look for plugs that are covering the screw heads...they may even be on the inside edge of the frame. But, please don't use the hammer again. : )

• parke342
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly! We are certainly scared of using the hammer now. Any suggestions on decorative lights? That's the direction I think we're going to take...I like those industrial pendant lights but am not sure if it will fit in this kitchen.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Parke -- your cabinets look similar to mine and I've been planning my redo (not executed yet) but like you ... changing hardware can make a huge difference and I plan on changing the stain. I decided against painting as cupboards/doors get so nicked up.

I think a pendant light would look fine if you're going to modernize the cabinets with fresh stain or paint!

• parke342
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@PinesEverywhere, what color are you thinking of staining them?

I am DYING to change my hardward. I'm a little worried about even staining now though, since apparently our DIY skills leave something to be desired...

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

LOL. You can do it -- everyone as a bit of DIY in them!

My cabinets are more of a pecan color now -- I'm thinking of adding a reddish/cherry cast stain.

Thing is -- if you change that hardware to vertical -- you'll have to plug those holes, sand around them, re-varnish a little which means .... you might as well stain them. :)

Your choice of course. The doors are easy because you can remove them and work on them flat (remember to label them so they go back where they came from). Doing the cabinet housing will be a pain.

Alternatively, you could just paint the doors and drawers and leave the surrounds stained -- that would be kind of quirky/artsy alternative.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

You know what Parke -- because your cabinets are so light in color ... you may be able to scrub them with a degreaser, then scuff them up with steel wool and then finally apply a deeper color stain.

It may be pretty easy. I've done that a furniture piece just fine but never on cabinets. Maybe an expert will weigh in.

• parke342
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There appears to be a veneer or some type on them -- so I think we would have to strip them first? I'm not sure.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Replacing the handles will require you to plug one or both holes, so if you decide to stay with stain you need to make sure that what you plug the holes with is stainable. Even after allowing for that, you're probably going to see where the repair was.

Painting those cabinets won't be difficult since the doors are flat but it will be time consuming. Me, I'd do all the repairs and sand them smooth, then give all the cabinets a good cleaning, prime and paint.
    Go to a Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Miller, etc. paint store and ask for guidance on a cleaner, primer and paint for cabinets.
    Find a handyman that can help you remove the cabinet over the sink (before painting) then add a window treatment and a pendant.

Below is a link to a thread about painting cabinets. Check out the transformation of Wendy's kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet painting

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

The cabinets probably have shellac or varnish on them, you can try gel stain over it after a thorough cleaning with TSP type cleaner. A darker color would look nice with the black appliances.

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

I used gel stain on an oak headboard. I wanted it dark to blend with my cherry dressers. I sanded it very lightly, didn't even know about TSP cleaner and it came out great. It hasn't even worn wear my head leans on it to read, sometimes with wet hair. Try to find a piece to test it out on. Might be a great way to,darken them up a bit.