Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shutters that Wing-Out

Posted by PinesEverywhere (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 7:23

Hey remodelers --

I am debating whether to keep these shutters or not. They have problems which I am prepared to fix (need painting, left hinge is bent, hinges are way too small for the weight, the closing magnet casings are cracked, and the mounting surround is slightly split on the bottom - Left Side Only).

Can anyone suggest a hinging system or fastening system that will promote proper folding so the shutters will stay flat when open (accordion style). I cannot find one web-site or article to help.

Each shutter is 54.5" x 19"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shutters that Wing-Out

Can you fix the hinges in the center so that the shutters fold back instead of front. That way when the shutters are open, you will see only one shutter (with the other folded behind it.

o

Shutters are a premium window covering - they aren't cheap. Check out the stores in your area that sell blinds. I'm sure you can find someone to fix the hinges, etc.

o

Grandma -- good idea, I just may incorporate that as I want to hang some art on those side walls. However, I do like them totally open for the view too.

Geoffrey -- good suggestion BUT premium window covering shops are far and few these days. But that is what I need is an expert on Hinges and Hanging. I could handle the re-install but I don't know what hardware EXACTLY to purchase.

I did find these: Shutter Dogs -- They hold shutters open. I would just have to find a nail/post/mounting spike that was long enough for three panels. Not to mention a beam to drill into. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutter Dogs -- Who knew?

o

@pinesEverywhere - any window covering store that sells Hunter Douglas will probably have someone who installs / hangs shutters. Just look under biinds in the yellow pages.

o

Hi,
You could use magnets to get the shutters to stick to each other and to a screw-in doorstop (or suchlike) sticking out of the wall.
Tiny 1/4" dia rare earth magnets are amazingly powerful, epoxy them into a 1/4" shallow hole. Make sure the polarity matches so they attract each other instead of repel.
Casey

o

Geoffrey -- excellent suggestion, I'll let my fingers do the walking. That is what I need is an "Installer" for the Hinging and to look at this surround in the window sill.

Sombreuil -- another excellent tip. Good thinking! The magnets for closing need replacing and I could easily use them for opening too if I place them strategically. I've got to noodle on this more -- thanks so much.

To Everyone -- the Help is greatly appreciated -- this doesn't seem impossible to fix. I'm "almost" excited about painting these now!

o

If Lee Valley does not have the hardware you need, I'll be very surprised.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/Index.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valey Hardware

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here