Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim13914

Using kitchen cabinets in the bathroom

Kim13914
11 years ago

Hello, I am new here and am excited about getting input on our bathroom remodel! Can you use 24 inch deep (like kitchen cabinets) cabinets in the bathroom? Does this create any problems? I am not sure how to post pictures here, so I will try to describe our cabinet design as best I can. There will be a 15 inche drawer base, then two 30 inch sink bases, and then a 15 inch drawer base. The drawer bases will have 15 inch wide towers on top of them. Our initial plan was to have the drawer bases at 18 inches deep and the sink bases at 21 inches deep. My husband suggested that we make the drawer bases 21 inches deep and the sink bases 24 inches deep, to get some extra counter space. I would love to here your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Does it impact the clearances to other fixtures? You've got to have at least 24" in front of a vanity to be able to move by code, but in real life, that seems pretty cramped. Be sure you don't feel cramped, especially if this is a master. A less than spacious feeling master can impact it's usability now, and negatively affect resale.

Are you planning on doing a stock sized top, or going custom? In your case, since you already planned for having varying depths, you'd be doing a custom stone top anyway, but for those who want to save a bit of money, you cannot use a stock vanity top with kitchen cabinets.

Are you OK with the taller height as a vanity? The trend is towards choosing taller vanities, but not everyone is OK with a sink basin for washing your face at 36" instead of the shorter 32".

Are you OK with the added expense? Vanity cabinets are slightly cheaper than kitchen cabinets, and this can make or break some tight budgets. With you already planning on using so many drawers, this won't be a cheap project from the beginning, so that's an unlikely scenario for you, but it can be a consideration for others who might read this.

• Kim13914
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Live wire oak,

Thanks for your response. As far as clearance, it would leave 37 inches minimum between the vanity and the knee wall by the toilet. We are planning on doing a granite top. They have not charged us extra for the varying depths, although I know increasing the cabinet depth will increase the square footage of the vanity top and therefore, the cost.

We were not planning on ordering 24 inch deep sink bases, but pulling them out 3 inches from the back (having the contractor fill that 3 spaces in as he would recommend, I guess).

We actually like the additional height of the vanity as we are both relatively tall ( my husband is 6 foot). Does it impact the size of the sinks we would use? My husband liked the idea of 24 inches deep mainly because it gives us more counterspace. Thanks so much

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I think that sounds just fine. Funny your config is EXACTLY what I am doing as well - my drawer bases will be 18" deep and the cabinets 21" deep. I'm putting a 17" oval undermount sink in each. Good luck!

• Kim13914
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phylhl,

Thanks so much for the reply. I talked with the place we are ordering the cabinets. He said people use 24 inch deep all the time in the bathroom, so that was encouraging. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

• alkibeachkirsty
    11 years ago

We put a higher vanity in our bathroom and I love it. One thing to look out for is your sink placement- the extra height and depth will change your angles and you want to be able to spit toothpaste into it comfortably. ;)

• probookie
    11 years ago

Based on my recent experience with a 36" high vanity in a hotel bathroom, I suggest making a mock-up of the new vanity to optimize sink placement and faucet configuration. The stubby little faucet at the back of the hotel's tall vanity was too far away for me to use it easily--had to actually lie on the cold granite to get to it. A faucet that extended farther into the sink would have been more accessible.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Vanity cabinets cheaper than kitchen? Hmmm. Not always.
    the only problem I see was already mentioned, cabinet depth will not allow you to use a stock vanity top, which it sounds like you won't be using anyway.

• Chris Bonesteel
    6 years ago

I used kitchen cabinets for my bathroom, but used a bathroom vanity top, built a false wall around cabinet which with the 2x4 and drywall took up the extra 4 inches of cabinet depth but still leaves it deeper inside cabinet. Even with the materials to build wall it was still significantly cheaper to buy the 36 inch sink cabinet and 2 18 inch base cabinets, than it was to buy a 72 inch vanity. Also the false wall made it easy to build a nice nook between the medicine cabinet (also recessed into false wall). The end result is a beautiful vanity slightly taller, but not any deeper (important as you don't want the extra 4 inches of distance to mirror since we all lean real close at times) and with 4 extra inches of storage depth than a standard vanity