Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kisu_gw

Air Switch for Garbage Disposer - tamper resistant or not?

kisu
11 years ago

Question about Air Switches for Garbage Disposers. House is in San Francisco, CA.

I installed a Waste King Eco 1000 Garbage Disposer(GD). The sink cabinet has 2 duplex receptacles (outlets) tamper resistant as required by NEC 2011 code. Duplex#1 is dedicated 20 amp for the GD and duplex#2 is dedicated 20amp for the Maytag Dishwasher.

The Garbage disposer does not have a wall switch above the counter to activate it - I replaced that spot with another counter receptacle.

Instead, I installed an Air Switch (safer/more convenient). The air switch plugs into the Duplex#1. The GD in turn plugs into a single outlet on the Air switch box.

Problem - the air switch (A.S.) box outlet is "not" tamper resistant type. It is simply a 3-prong and the cord is a plug-in cord, not a direct wire.

Is this allowable? I know the code says that ALL receptacles have to be tamper resistant except those behind built in appliances like ranges. So does the Air Switch box count as an "outside" appliance and therefore does not have to be tamper resistant?

For example, I have a surge protector strip that is not tamper resistant, and I am allowed to plug that into my wall outlet which is tamper resistant. But a child could stick something into the surge protector strip, right? So I kind of get the reason for the new code - but it seems like there are a ton of legal things you could plug into the wall that then make the TR outlet non-effective.

I am thinking the A.S. is not a duplex so my plugging the GD plug into the A.S. box, and then the A.S. 3-prong plug into the Tamper Resistant duplex receptacle is good for code.

Please advise if you know.