Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MDF or Pine Baseboards?--Painted White

Posted by darenka (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 1:32

I was about to buy MDF baseboards when a Lowe's customer started telling me it was a big mistake: MDF would crumble, swell, dent more easily, etc... Does anyone know if this is true? We live in Arizona so humidity is not a problem. I admit I'm a wood snob, but since they will be painted (and aren't bearing any weight) it seemed a perfect opportunity to cheap out and get MDF. Pine doubles the price and since it's raw wood, it would have to be primed--doubling the work. Our home has rounded corners and they sell round corner caps for that purpose so there is minimal coping involved.

Would you professional remodelers spend the money on pine? Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MDF or Pine Baseboards?--Painted White

MDF also needs to be primed---primer has two jobs---sealing and providing a surface to which paint will easily adhere. Besides, if you just paint MDF, the first coat will be absorbed so much a second coat is necessary.

It is true the MDF will dent more easily---but, how many times does the base molding get hit? Vacuuming? Takes a really hard hit to make a dent.

The edges of MDF will break off more easily than solid wood---but if you are careful, that is not a problem.

Get the MDF and use the savings for something else.

o

MDF is fine for "untouchables" like ceiling mouldings and window casings. Not so great for baseboards or door casings that get knocked into often.

o

Watch for outside corners with MDF also.
The corner will not stay 'sharp' through very many bumps.

o

I don't think the OP is talking about unprimed MDF. Most, if not all MDF that is sold retail is lacquer primed on the face. I also recommend a prime on the back and edge surfaces, even when using soft pine woods.

Michael

o

I usually stay away from MDF, the only exception for me is when installing crown moulding on the cieling, its easier and faster to work with.

I dont like using MDF because
1)the nailholes mushroom when nailing the baseboard to the wall and painters usually wont take the time to sand down the high areas on every nail hole, and I dont blame them.

But as a homeowner you can take your time and sand down the high areas.

2) the miters tend to get damaged easier when accidentaly kicked or ran into with something.

o

We used all MDF (baseboards, door and window casings, crown, etc.) when we remodeled 5 years ago. I have had no problems and that's with a maid who thinks the vacuum is a formula one car. I put a good part of the molding in myself and never had any problems with nail holes bulging. Since MDF has no grain, it has a "smoother" finish when painted. I would go with the MDF and save the money. In the unlikely event of a chip or dent, you can repair it with patching compound just like you would do on drywall. We did use wood baseboards in the bathrooms, because if moisture gets into the MDF it will swell - although if it's primed and painted on all surfaces there shouldn't be a problem.

o

I think the MDF will do well in AZ.

o

Thanks everyone for taking the time to educate me. It ended up being a split decision. Mom read all the replies and decided to do pine, I decided to do MDF in my house. However, I've decided that when I win the lottery and do a custom house, I'm going to have custom 8-10" baseboards. Her 6" pine is looking more impressive than my 5" MDF (the biggest Lowe's stocks here). Thanks again and happy remodeling..... do you ever get done?

o

MDF baseboard comes in sizes much larger than 5". Just go to a lumberyard or molding supply (if your area has one).

o

MDF - Much Disdain of Formaldehyde

Anyway, you may want to consider the toxic implications when installing materials into your living spaces or work spaces. Chemical (unnatural) off-gassing from the likes of MDF, synthetic carpeting, glued down flooring, paints all contribute to toxic air.

What are the major contributors to cancers? It is suspected that the carcinogens in the atmosphere are playing a big role. So, why breath this stuff when there are alternatives with zero or low levels?

Be smart about what you install in your home. Maybe pine with a non toxic, no VOC paint would not pollute your air to the level of the alternates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here