Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Stone Veneer Falling Off!!!

barbcollins
13 years ago

One of the things I liked about the foreclosure we bought was that that previous owner had done a stone veneer on the front of the house and on the foundation.

But, now some of them are falling off. Just on the edge of the front porch. Initially it was above the step, and I thought it was due to the weight bearing when people step there. But now more are falling off on the right.

Do you think it is because:

A. He used the wrong mortar/glue (what is correct to adhere these?).

B. Not enough surface on the edge of the porch to adhere them to?

C. Water getting behind them due to the run off on the porch. (When it rains and the wind is blowing sometimes their is water on the porch).

How should we fix this? We have plenty of stone left (he left about a 1/2 pallet under the porch). Would it be possible to ever get them to stay up against the porch edge?

I am planning on painting the porch floor. Am I better off taking the rest off the attaching a board across a paint it to match the floor?

Any help would be appreciated. This is new for me.

Comments (16)

• worthy
    13 years ago

Would it be possible to ever get them to stay up against the porch edge?

For awhile.

I am planning on painting the porch floor. Am I better off taking the rest off the attaching a board across a paint it to match the floor?

And how will you flash that board to prevent it from rotting. Since you've got so much extra, it may be simpler just to replace the missing pieces and consider it regular maintenance.

If there's anyway to ID the stone, you may be able to Google up the manufacturer's instructions.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Worthy,

I'll read through the info from your link and try to learn more.

No there is not a heated basement under the porch, it is open for storage.

I don't want a temporary fix because we plan to sell the house. Don't want to pass down a problem to the next owners.

Good idea about looking for the manufacturer. Next time I go, I'll look on the backs for a name.

As far as a board, I had not thought in detail about that yet. Was thinking either pressure treated or one of the expensive composition boards that won't rot.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

The stone hanging in space without support below is never going to stay in place long term.

Even just thermal cycles (let alone any freezing) are going to make the joint holding it attached fail.

Stone (and mortar) are strong in compression, but very weak in tension, and those joints are loaded in tension.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Brickeye,

I buy and fix up a lot of houses....

What would you do?

DH thinks I should knock of the rest of those on the edge and parge or paint the edge of the porch. I guess that would mean trying to chip off the mortar without damaging the concrete.

• ron6519
    13 years ago

It would help if you stated where you live. If you live in a freezing zone, the stones will pop off forever.
    Water will roll off the porch and infiltrate behind the stone. Once it freezes, it pops off.
    Ron

• worthy
    13 years ago

Don't want to pass down a problem to the next owner

So you're going to correct any subpar repair or improvement you come across? I don't think so.

When I bought old houses to rent or reno I assumed there was lots wrong--inevitably all the "improvements" over the years. And I did what was necessary to make the house more presentable, not to remedy every defect to the highest standard.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Worthy,
    Yes, we have already corrected a lot of subpar repairs we came across. I guess I should have said "Don't want to pass down a known problem to the next owner". Yes, in a 110 year old house there will be other defects that will get passed down. But this one is pretty blatant if the stones start falling off within a year of settlement.

Hey Brickeye,
    Sorry, I was on my way out the door when I typed my last message to you. When I said "I buy and fix up a lot of houses...." I meant to say "I think you buy and fix up a lot of house... What would you do?"

We've only done 3 before this one.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

If you want to keep the stone at the edge figure out a way to get some support under them.

The 'ultimate' fix would be to either thicken the lower stone to create a ledge for the upper stone, or install a steel ledge.
    If you install it so the vertical section is behind the edge stone the only thing that would show is the front edge of the steel, and you could even cut the back edge of the stone to conceal that.

Just putting some wood trim in place of the stones would be a lot easier and should look acceptable if it matches the other trim.

• renovator8
    13 years ago

Is it a stone veneer cavity wall, thin stone adhered to a substrate, or a synthetic cladding?

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The foundation for the porch is made of cinderblocks and is about 8 ft high (you can walk under the porch on the right side) The porch floor is a concrete slab about 3 to 4 inches thick.

I think this is probably contributing to the problem since the cultured stone is about 5-6" thick. Only about 1/2 of the stone is adhered to the side of the porch floor. The other half is left dangling.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Only about 1/2 of the stone is adhered to the side of the porch floor. The other half is left dangling."

Even if all of it was attached it would still be a problem.

Mortar is very weak in tension.

The edge stones need something solid to rest on.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Only about 1/2 of the stone is adhered to the side of the porch floor. The other half is left dangling."

Even if all of it was attached it would still be a problem.

Mortar is very weak in tension.

The edge stones need something solid to rest on.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Came up to the house tonight and did some more investigating. Haven't found any brand name yet, but will look more in the tomorrow.

It appears that the mortar is adhered to the back of the stones but not the edge of the concrete. When I pulled this stone off (wasn't hard, just tapped it with my foot), the mortar all came away with the stone. Does this change anything?

The bottom of the edge of the porch is very rough. I can see some of the gravel that was used when they poured it.

Any suggestions on how I could get a finished edge if I don't use the cultured stones? Is it possible to trowel on concrete or parging to get a smooth edge? Getting the mortar off is no longer an issue.

I tried to take a pic with my camera phone. That is the back side of the stone I knocked off.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"When I pulled this stone off (wasn't hard, just tapped it with my foot), the mortar all came away with the stone. Does this change anything?"

Not really.
    It is a bad design and will fail over and over until the stone is supported from below.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah I kind of thought you would say that.

We were in Lowes this morning, and I was looking at the PVC boards. Not cheap, but would never rot.

I should have looked at the Trex while I was there. There might be an option there so it wouldn't have to be painted.