Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How long to install exterior and interior doors?

We want to hire someone to install a new pre-hung exterior door. We were planning to do it ourselves, then decided it was more than we could handle. (It was all the two of us could do to wrestle it into the van and then into the house.) If we ran into problems we would be literally, well, leaving the house open while figuring out what to do.

We figured no one would want to come and hang one door, so added to the job the installation of the new storm door we would need, and then a wall-mounted sliding door for the kitchen/pantry (slides like a pocket door, but mounted all on one side, not inside the wall).

We are interviewing people this week. To help us decide how much this should cost, how long would a job like this take? My husband thought it all could be done in one day, but the first guy we saw today said 2, maybe 3 days. More for the sliding door than the exterior door. Both doors would involve ripping out and replacing moldings too. We would buy and stain those ourselves ahead of time.

I know there are always regional differences, but if anyone also has a clue about how much these should cost, that would help too. We're in the Chicago northwest suburbs.

Comments (7)

• jrice
    16 years ago

It all depends. Sometimes a door can be replaced in an hour or two and sometimes it takes three times that long. There are several issues to consider and you never really know what you are getting into until you have the old door and jamb removed. I replaced an exterior pre-hung the other day that took less than an hour and a half. However I have run into those that took most of a day.

As for the sliding door they are fairly easy for someone that has done a few before. The first time could take three of four hours depending on locating & securing the track, trim, etc..

The storm door is virtually the same issue. Sometimes they are a piece of cake and sometimes they are not.

I would allow a day and a half at a minimum for the three.

Be sure to check each door closely befor the installer leaves. Make sure the reveal(distance between the door and jamb) is the same all around the door. Make sure the door closes snug with the jamb weather strip and contacts the strip all at the same time, not the top touching first with a 1/4" gap at the bottom of the weather strip, prior to latching.

A good door installer will take care and pride in seeing all these things are correct when he is finished. It just takes time, sometimes more than others.

Check a couple of their references if you wish. Ask if they have ever installed a slider on the outside of the wall and maybe a phone # you can call for that reference. It is better to check them out first, than to see an unsatisfactory result in the end. It ain't rocket science, just skill and pride in workmanship that will result in a good hanging!! Door that is!! Remember you are looking for a properly hung door, not a properly hung installer! Good luck

• handymac
    16 years ago

The exterior door should take no more than 5 hours, and generally about two. That depends on the variables and if extra trim is needed.

Never did a slider like that, so have no frame of referrance.

• jrice
    16 years ago

Handymac & Innea56. I have installed several of these sliders so will try to explain a little as they can sometimes be an advantage over a regular jamb door. For instance I had a regular door in my bathroom which when open, hid the toilet behind it. The interior wall had sufficient room to install a slider, about 36" for a 32" door. Think I purchased a pocket door track and hdw. from Johnson Hdw. for about $20. Attached the track along the wall holding it out far enough to allow the door to clear the wall about a quarter inch as it rolled along. Installed a closet door bracket at the bottom as to not allow the door to contact the wall when opening or closing(swing). I also did a little trim work to cover the track using about a 3" trim piece along the distance of the track. Handywork, or a masterpiece, as I like to describe it!! I am sure you understand. Now my toilet is no longer behind the door and the room seems much larger since that old swinging door is gone.

I did another that had the tub behind the door and the door was difficult to open and close, due to the toilet being on the opposite side of the tub. When you closed the door you had to step aside to permit the door to operate. Plumbing was in the wall for the tub and a light switch was on the wall where the toilet was located so that did not permit a pocket door. So I installed the door on the wall outside the bath. Found an antique piece of wireglass and installed it in a slab door thatI bought for around $20. Another masterpiece with the trim and we have a new conversation piece as visitors admire the handywork. Now when the door is open it works a a piece of art, when closed it serves the intended purpose.

Another was a small bath in which the door swung into the hall hiding the linnen closet when open. So I installed a slider on the inside of the bathwall. Now I have access to my linen closet and can close the bath door when necessary. Hope this will give you some ideas for future reference.

• jrice
    16 years ago

I am thinking you are thinking the track will be behind the door. The track is installed above the door just like a pocket door. Think I actually attached a 1"X3" board to the top of the track (be sure to attach the track to the outer edge to allow clearence between the door and wall), then using 3" deck or drywall screws attach the board and track to the wall studs. Think I screwed them at an angle through the top board intro the studs. Then I placed my trim around the track to cover it. This way the track is not visable from either side. I used the same size door as the original. There is a small opening that the door does not completely cover however I thought that no big deal. It may be better to use a door a couple inches wider than the original if you want. Just remember you will need equal or more wall space for the larger door to clear the original door opening. After I removed the old door hinges I filled the hinge notch with wood filler and stained to match. Hope this helps.

• newenglandbuilder
    16 years ago

We usually allow about four hours to install a typical exterior door, allowing about 20-30 minutes for the removal of the old. Oftentimes, where we are, people want to replace exterior doors due to rot issues and that can get into replacing rotted subfloor or sill underneath which can add to time involved. Also, if its a front entry door with a side light or large trim add-ons, it may take more time as well.

We replaced a slider recently and it ran us about two hours to do the initial replacement and removal, but we had another two hours of replacing a rotted subfloor and damaged sill as well. Improper installation of an exterior door can lead to water problems later on. A hefty amount of silicone caulk should be applied under the threshold just prior to setting in place.

Also, as another said above, shimming properly, checking for proper alignment of door to jamb and properly installing hardware is a part of the job as well. A properly installed door should swing easily and shut tight with little pressure or drag.

Changing the size on the rough opening will lead to more time as now you are getting into framing.

Johnson hardware is very good quality for sliding and pocket door assemblies.

We usually allow about a half hour to an hour to install a prehung interior door assembly, assuming the rough opening is proper.

• wendys20
    16 years ago

Though most people are worried about the look of their exterior home doors, there is no cause for concern. UPVC external doors come in various styles. If you don't want to go for the standard white vinyl door, choose a UPVC door with a light or dark wood effect for your remodeling assignment. It will look as attractive as the external wooden door but is highly durable.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Door