Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistressjoy

Quality of Feather River fiberglass doors?

MistressJoy
17 years ago

Apparently years ago Feather River was a quality company that grew too fast, went bankrupt, sold its assets and had a trademark name dispute with Fine Doors. As recently as 2005 there are reports of folks not getting doors, etc., while legal battles dragged on.

While I can't imagine Home Depot (who now carries them) offering a brand that is a problem, I am not sure of the quality and reputation of whatever company now has the name, and makes the product.

Does anyone know more about this, and whether they are a quality door?

Thanks.

Comments (62)

• altavista
    15 years ago

For what it's worth, I on a window and door company in FL. We sell many fiberglass doors from Therma-Tru, Plastpro, and Masonite. I found this thread researching a glass pattern mentioned by a client. The stories above inspired me to add comment. We occassionally have damage due to shipping but rarely factory-defective product like posted previously. Every issue has been promptly and professionally resolved by us or with assistance from the manufacturers.

May I suggest to all to use a manufacturer's website to locate authorized dealers - any other than the big box stores - for a far better experience. You may have to drive a few more miles and possiby wait a week or three for the doors to arrive, (never more than six weeks and usually less than two). You are likely to find personalized service, abundant knowledge - which is extremely lacking at the big box, and competitive prices. Yes, we compete with HD & Lowes every day.

Remember, "you get what you pay for". Best of luck with your door projects!

• awm03
    15 years ago

It appears from Feather River's website that the doors are only sold through Home Depot.

Well, wish me luck. The only glass designs I liked were on Feather River doors, so that's what I'm getting. Hopefully the problems have been resolved or were limited to the mahogany/cherry in-store doors (not what I'm getting).

I tried really hard to find a Provia or Jeld-Wen door that I liked, but the glass designs just didn't do it for me.

• winstonguy
    15 years ago

the difference between the showroom sample and what was delivered approaches bait & switch. our doors were inferior in many ways. wish we had seen these reviews BEFORE we bought Feather River.

• awm03
    15 years ago

What style did you get and what was it that disappointed you?

• mario_d
    15 years ago

Do not trust this DOOR GUY fella. He posted the exact same thing on 3cents webpage where people complained about the Feather River fiberglass doors. He probably works for the company and is trying to make everyone feel like the company is making good doors. I mean who would call a customer service person a SWEETHEART?
    In my opinion they are overpriced and yet they have so many customer complaints. I was trying to buy FG with mahogany stain with 2 side lites and ONE side lite cost more than the door itself even when the door was special ordered. If you pay over 3k for entry door with 2 side lites then you want the company to make near perfect door.

• dacatdaddy_sbcglobal_net
    15 years ago

I bought FR doors thru Home Depot. After less than 3 years the finish is losing it. I called both HD and FR and have gotten nowhere. I am very pissed off with these doors and I will no longer do business with HD or FR. They both suck!

• gloriaf
    15 years ago

I purchased a Feather River exterior door mainly because Home Depot stated that door wouldn't peel or fade due to the weather. The door was fine for the first few years but now the door has started to peel and fade at the bottom part of the door. I just contacted Feather River and the customer support person stated that Home Depot misrepresented the warranty of the door because the exterior door does need the original poly stripped and reapplied every several years. I told them that they need to contact Home Depot and have them stop misrepresenting their door and she 'state they have'. She stated that I need to strip the door and reapply a new layer of poly. She also stated that their website and the warranty directions also state the poly needs to be stripped and reapplied. I'm still not happy since I was originally mislead by Home Depot.

• awm03
    15 years ago

But the fading problem isn't unique to Feather River doors. When researching doors this winter, I learned that fading/finish deterioration is a problem for all fiberglass doors. And that the main drawback to fiberglass doors is that, despite restaining & repolying, you can never get them to look as good as when they were new.

Driving around here, I see several doors that have a washed out, faded wood look. I suspect they're fiberglass. Here in CT, they just look like antique doors, fortunately. But that look may not be appropriate in areas where antique colonial homes aren't as prevalent.

I looked into other brands, and there are complaints about them as well (not Provia doors, AFAIK). I'm not really convinced that Feather River has more problem doors than Therma-Tru or Masonite or Pella.

• magoo_2008
    15 years ago

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE DOORS!!!!!
    I found this thread on the web and had to sign up just to inform anybody looking to buy one of these.

My father-In-Law purchased a fiberglass entry door with the sidelights ($2,000) a few years ago and already the frame is splitting and rotting out!
    The quality of cheap pine they use on these doors is laughable.
    Also the fiberglass moldings are separating from the door itself, whatever adhesive they use is failing tremendously.
    I first contacted HD for my Father-In-Law (he speaks poor English) and they immediately told me I had to contact the FR warranty department.
    FR wanted me to supply them with photos of all the damage areas, which I did.......what a waste of time!!
    They took over a MONTH to get back to me only to inform me they wouldn't cover the damage?1?!

These people DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT and are very rude!!!

We are ripping this door out over the weekend and sending it to the dump where it belongs.

Good luck.

• jsmi
    15 years ago

I have been reading the complaints of Feather River doors and have the following story. I am an ex supervisor with the company, quit and am not writing in any way out of despite. With that said, let me tell you a story. Feather River has always been interested in one thing only, MONEY. Once they get the order, you are a second class citizen in their eyes. I saw orders sit over four months with no action. When asked by myself when the orders were to be processed, their reply was always the same, when they quit whining. Quality issues were a daily thing at the plant, and ignored daily as well. The Jambs were Finger jointer pine junk which fell apart in our hands at times and were reglurd and sent out. Rot in the wood was rare but happened. Wrong glass, hardware and accessories were ignored, saying they will send it back if it mattered. Doors had foam voids in them, warping issues and coloration issues. Magic markers were user to touch up scratches and defects, which washed off with water, on an exterior door subjected to water. Jambs were nailed to doors , noticed and never fixed. Once again, if it mattered the consumer will send it back to be fixed. Warped jambs were used rather than tossed out. Treatment of their temp based employees were terrible for the most part, money, money money drove the company over fair treatment. They seldom stood behind their product and daily returns of 30-40 door units daily were not unheard of. Delamination was another known problem not adressed. Fading, chipped glass, wrong swings and sizes, just another day at the office. BUYER BEWARE OF THE DOORS YOU NOW OWN OR ARE THINKING OF BUYING. I feel fortunate I quit years ago, life is good now knowing I am an honest person again. And Home Depot was known many times to threaten to quit carrying their products if they did not shape up. HOME DEPOT I'm ashamed of you for continuing to carry their products. I've been a LOWES shopper and will be till you shape up. Once again, I just want people to know their complaints were heard, they just choose to ignore you, business as usual.

• calicobox
    15 years ago

Hi I wish I would have read this sooner. I purchased a FR exterior front door, medium oak. I love the look. It's been installed less than a month and to me, at the bottom, it's starting to look faded. The inside of the door remains a nice rich color. The outside of the door appears several shades lighter. I called customer service and she had me send pictures (not easy to capture the faded area). There response, "After reviewing the photos we have determined it is the pattern of the grain and the horizontal direction that causes the wood to appear lighter. This is not a warranty issue and replacing the slab (door only) is not going to change the appearance.
    As far as the caulking I can only advise how to remove it, I am unable to send a Rep out to take care of it for you. You can use a straight edge to clean it off the glass and then use an ice cube on the rest which will help harden it and make it easier to peel off."

Maybe so, but it looks faded to me. It's on the west side of the house and gets a lot of mid day sun.

• djo55
    14 years ago

We have just installed FR interior doors for our closets. Had seen them used and went with the obscure glass with the grids. They absolutely look amazing BUT getting the grids to snap into the door and getting the clasps driven into the wood is very difficult- has been driving my husband crazy! The claps do not keep the grids in place or snug against the glass. He has been at it for 5 hours and still not happy. Wish I would have read this BEFORE. The doors with grids are ridiculously expensive. Again, the look is wonderful but now concerned about the durability, etc. and if the grids will ever stay in place.

• davec_2009
    14 years ago

This may wind up looking like a shill, but here goes anyway...
    I'd been looking at Feather River's interior doors for a couple years at Home Depot. I've been wanting to acoustically divide the Front of the house from the back, and really liked their triple pane glass doors. Even after reading these posts a couple months ago I went ahead and bought one of their Crown Jewel collection doors (grand total ~$1500). It arrived 2 weeks ahead of the quoted delivery date, which was nice, In hanging it the only problems were that the strike plate mortise needed to be adjusted so the door would close tight, and the screws mounting the hinges to the frame were too short to reach into the house framing, a definite necessity for a door this heavy.
    So the door is in, looks and works great. (Huge sigh of relief)
    I just wanted to let people know that at least some of Feather River's stuff is OK.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Mine are 9 months old now. No problems with installation and no problems otherwise. Very happy with them so far. They are white on the exterior, so no fading to report.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

(Found this thread while looking for something else...)

I have one of the Feather River "Theme Collection" interior doors for my pantry and love the door...no quality or installation issues whatsoever. My door is a little over a year old and I still love it! Maybe it was my installer, but it's the smoothest opening/closing door in the whole house! [Door was purchased from HD in spring 2008.]

Long distance shot:

Here is a link that might be useful: Feather River Doors (Click on

• bellamae
    14 years ago

Beautiful post above me, wish I had a kitchen like that. I searched and searched both lowes and Home Depot. It seems Feather River is only sold thru Home Depot.The ones lowes carried were more expensive but looked Cheap. So my husband and I purchased a door because of the look and appearance of the wood but later found out its not wood its fiberglass.... I have to say I am so impressed, I didnt think that I would be saying how silly I was thinking this door was wood. Needless to say Im happy, It was a little tight when opening and closing but I notice now after 2 months its easing up.I notice these negative comments on here are just single post, with no follow up or any other usage to the site. So I felt it was time to share my experience.

• daccame
    14 years ago

Ok--I was considering Feather River but after these posts I'm back to square one--I'm looking for a fiberglass, custom door (my opening is higher than average) from a good, medium-priced manufacturer. I'm in the Washington, DC area.

Any suggestions???

• bellamae
    14 years ago

I noticed a sale at Home Depot, Im going to get the interior doors for the dining room. wish me luck.... with over a million doors sold im sure there wont be a problem with quality...I hope to post photos of my project when finish.

• BigDiesel71_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just bought two Feather River doors from Home Depot and they are installed. I don't have one complaint about the doors. They are really nice. Nicest doors i have ever owned as far as looks. Thumbs up from me!

• Seritc_aol_com
    12 years ago

Our door was expertly installed by HD's people, who only install doors, and was fine until the glue around the center window frame began to bleed. We've removed it twice but as soon as the weather is hot, it happens once again. Covering scratches with the stain sticks they provide does not do a satisfactory job. My letters to them via email have been answered, but they are brief and in essence say: It's your problem; use the stain stick and cut the glue away with an exacto knife. How much glue is left to hold the window frame in place is my concern. My door is about 2-1/2 years old and on a covered porch. I would not recommend this door as it is beginning to fade, I can't cover the scratches, and today a piece of the sweep under the door came loose and had to be removed. Good price, poor quality

• Drageeda
    12 years ago

I purchased a Feather River door in 2008, cost me over $2000,00 with the sidelites. Before warranty was up the door started to fade terribly. First the company said they would replace it then changed their minds because they said I hadn't treated the door properly. Well I treated it last year and this year it is peeling like crazy and spots that were treated are now fading also. Do not buy any doors from Feather River. They are a horrible company to deal with and give you no satisfaction.

• Sajo303
    11 years ago

Our exterior Feather River door is about three years old. It looked very nice for the first year. Last year it started looking pretty rough and now the finish is peeling off, the glue keeps seeping from around the moulding and we aren't sure what to do to fix the finish. Our door faces West and so gets the afternoon sun. Would love to know if anyone has successfully refinished their fiberglass door.
    I will never buy another of these products again.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Mine are 4 years old now, still look & work great. They are white, though, not a faux wood finish, and are protected from strong sun by a porch gable. Glad we didn't go with a faux wood finish.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

In a quality door with a proper finish the woodgrain finish is not an issue. But it all starts with a quality product and Feather River is not one of them.

• awm03
    11 years ago

I disagree that the woodgrain finish isn't an issue. A quick internet search will show you that this is a common problem and is inevitable. A woodgrain fiberglass door by *any brand* WILL fade over the years. The darker color absorbs more sunlight & heat compared to my white finished door which reflects light & heat. That's why I chose a white door for my sunny, hot entry. And after four years, the finish is still good.

• xspunky
    10 years ago

I have to replace my front doors that are solid wood, I've been reading Feather River doors, and there have been so many negative things that I'm worried about choosing this brand. Do you know of any other brand of door that might be better or can stear me to some positive comments about the doors? Thanks

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Therma Tru is a good door, Provia, HMI are about the best in a fiberglass or steel door. Jeldwen Masonite and anything sold by a box store (HD, Lowes etc) is crap.

• tlb68
    10 years ago

I purchased Feather River Exterior Doors through Home Depot in Bensalem, PA based on the recommendation of the sales person in May 2011. Since I was having a great deal of renovations done on my home at the time rather than pay Home Depot to install them I had my contractor do the installation. When he unwrapped the doors that were delivered he noticed that the brick molding on one side was broken. Then he noticed that the doors were scratched and the finish was not even. But at this point they had already removed the existing doors so we had no alternative but to install them.

I contacted Home Depot and Feather River and sent in pictures. They offered to credit me 10% or replace the slaps. I unfortunately chose to have them replaced. The replacement was done by Home Depot, I thought, but now I am told that it was done by a company that handles the warranty inspections UTS. I noticed that my doors wouldn't stay locked and thinking nothing of it I adjusted the keeper on the lock and got it to stay locked. This was my second error. Because I kept looking and I could see the outside between my doors and they never seemed fully closed.

After suffering through this horrible winter and feeling the air just flowing in from the outside I put a request into the Customer Service Department to have someone check the doors. A representative from UTS came out and told us that the installation was out by 1/4" on the side of the stationary door and there was a bump in the threshold of the operating door which is why my sweepers kept having to be replaced. And he also said the operating door was bowed by 1/8".

Feather River now says that there is an installation problem so the warranty on the doors is voided. When I asked why the person that installed the new slabs, by the way he dropped the operating door during the installation, I was told he was there to install them not inspect them.

I have now hired an independent contractor to inspect the doors and correct them if needed. I am also going to post this on every blog site I can to warn other unsuspecting consumers of this shoddy product. It looks good but is not good quality.

• KEVIN88GT
    9 years ago

Also have one of these doors that are about 4 years old and the finish is starting to bubble and peel. ..has anyone here had any luck removing the finish and refinishing? Just want to know if it's worth doing? As it seems the materials and time spent can be costly..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Sure that is not the door itself? Looks to me like the fiberglass coming apart.

• bowinss
    8 years ago

Not Happy with Feather River Door. I have a $3,000.00 door with 2 sidelights. The frame was rotting so I went to Home Depot to order the parts. I was told I couldn't order parts because it's only done under warranty. I contacted your company and you sent someone to look at the door and cracked glass in the sidelight. A couple of weeks later I received a call from Home Depot telling me my glass and frame came in. I happily went to pick up the glass and frame only to discover the only thing there was the glass. Thinking this was a mistake I called your warranty department and was told my warranty was voided because I didn't caulk the door or paint the inside. Since this was a factory assembled door if the frame is supposed to be caulked to the sill I think it should have been done as part of the assembly but all I want is to fix my door so I said if you've voided my warranty then sell me the parts but I was told they don't do that. So I asked why they sent the glass and was told it was a courtesy. I said what good is the glass if I can't fix the frame and was told if I didn't want or couldn't use the glass I should just throw it out but really what they're saying is I have to throw out the $3,000.00 door because your company is unwilling to either sell me the damaged pieces of the frame or give them to me under warranty.
    This is very unfair.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

... edited out

• Pat Craycraft
    7 years ago

The door look great but the door jambs rot and Feather River does not stand by their warranty.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

"The door look great but the door jambs rot and Feather River does not stand by their warranty."

Why did the frame rot? I am not a Feather Rover fan at all but generally rotting door frames come from a lack of maintenance, not always for certain but usually.

• Pat Craycraft
    7 years ago

We sealed and painted per the instructions. We purchased 2 doors but only 1 has a problem - they were both treated the same. No idea why 1 rotted and the other didn't

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

The door jams rot out in a couple of years, they will tell you that you didn't caulk them properly. If you buy a fiberglass door, it will fade in 2 or 3 years. The molding around the sidelights, oozed glue, they sell crap, and they don't honor their warranty's, do not buy from this company

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

Look how bad my fiberglass door faded in only a couple of years, paid 2000 for this piece of crap, stay away from this company!

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

• mariodelauro
    6 years ago

The moldings oozed glue and the finish faded, I have to restain this door every spring, can't wait to replace this piece of junk

• Peter Maizitis
    5 years ago

Avoid these fiberglass doors at all costs!!!! We are in zero degree weather and the door has major drafts all over. The bottom gasket gave out less than a year later. We could not even close the door until I figured out that there was wood blocking the deadbolt. The door warped in within a month and there is now a strong draft at the top of the door. Feather River has very liberal specs for warpage which allow for drafts. The door was "installed" (butchered in) by a Home Depot contractor (Sayre "remodeling") but the drafts themselves are a result of bad quality materials and manufacturing. The (rude) contractor installed the door and then claimed all the screw plugs were missing and that we were to contact Feather River for replacements. Feather River claimed they no longer had them and sent our a brown crayon to fill in the screw holes! No really ... that's what they did! I put in an attorney general complaint and miraculously they found some plastic plugs to send out. The side panels are askew. All three windows in the door have drafts and I am finding frost deposits around the window frame where the drafts are. Wish we kept our original door ... these doors and their customer service are absolutely horrible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2EVpuoBJes

• PRO
    Brand Exteriors
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

As a long time contractor, both Feather River and Thermatru are excellent brands. Fiberglass is the ideal door material, far, far better than wood but can look like wood. No matter which brand, sun exposure and water will wear on doors and typically need refinishing every year. I do like the PVC jambs of Feather River stained to match the door like wood. Hard to compete with that along with a lower price by about 10%. Feather River designs are a little more modern and innovative, but still, both are excellent.

• HU-718046210
    3 years ago

We bought a Feather River door. We are unhappy with the rattling window in the door. This is the most expensive door we have ever purchased. We were told the window rattles because of the expansion room needed. There must be a way to allow for expansion without loose space in the channels. Put rubber, felt, or flexible caulk in the corners when it is manufactured! We have cheaper doors that do not rattle. Since we were not able to get anywhere with the company, I will probably have to take the door apart and fix it ourselves. We will not recommend a Feather River door to anyone. My advice? Buy a door from another company!

• HU-880725511
    3 years ago

We bought a $1300 FR door 3 years ago. It began to have condensation between the glass panes within the first 3 years. FR sent a replacement door. Home Depot installed the original door and again charged over $500 to install the second defective door. The FR door warranty doesn’t cover labor. The second door installed in September now has visible condensation on the inside of the glass around the corners. FR opened another claim for this defective door. I’m waiting to hear how they intend to resolve this claim.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Same as the previous. They will give you the product and the install is on your dime. Most manufacturers are that way unfortunately. However quality manufacturers do not typically have that many seal failures in this short of time span. And purchased from a reputable installer they will usually warranty their labor for a period of time as well as a service for your purchasing said products from them. Just another case of caveat emptor.

• HU-880725511
    2 years ago

Bought a FR French door with blinds between the glass from Home Depot. The first door developed leak between glass at bottom within 2 years of install. FR sent new door but I had to pay HD $584 to install it. Less than 5 months later new door developed leak at top seam of passive door. FR sent tech out to examine. Tech told me it’s defective door. RR won’t tell me what tech reported. FR says they want another tech to look at it. FR won’t honor warranty. I’ve been dealing with FR since February. I’ll never buy their products again.

• Jason Bibb
    2 years ago

Thought it was me.. first time installing but did all kinds of research prior to the install... on how to properly diy install the door. After literally reinstalling the door mutiple times.. we could never get it plumb... our opening is sound and plumb but nevertheless this door seems to shift in its frame and wont shut properly.. FEED UP... we beat the door up pretty badly so I am sure we are just out of our money... I still may try to return it to HD for a refund

• mship43129
    2 years ago

Thanks for the input. I just left Lowes to make an appointment to have measurements confirmed to replace a set of Masonite French Doors (w/blind inserts) they sold me 10 years ago.. Masonite is bad! The doors are fiberglass but the material inside has rotted away. Also, I've had to replace the glass insert 7 times due to the cords bind breaking. Lowes suggested the Feather River doors if I still wanted blind inserts. These reviews will help me make a better choice.

• HU-880725511
    2 years ago

Do not buy feather river doors i bought from home depot. First set defective leaking water. i had to pay $500 to get replacement installed second set is also leaking water at seams. feather river rep says theres no warranty on replacement