Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Would You Remove This Bathroom?

Laurie
14 years ago

We have a Powder Room on our main level. House is an American Foursquare and the bathroom is not original to the home. Therefore, it was added off the dining room, and later, that door was closed up (now a strange closet of sorts) and the new entry was added into the kitchen.

Neither of these entries is good. Both, in fact, are rather awful and there is no other place to access this bathroom.

We are about to close on this house and have to gut the kitchen completely. The kitchen isn't very large nor is the dining room. While at the kitchen designer today, they through out the possibility of us removing this bathroom completely since there is also a butlers pantry in the dining room using up space also. Reconfiguring both of these spaces, would greatly enhance the space of the dining room and kitchen, and improve flow to the spaces.

We intend to add a large picture window in the dining room and add a couple of small closets for storage on either side of the window. We'll make them look sort of like furniture so they look right in the room. We need to keep some kind of closet space, because there isn't any coat closet in the main hallway at the entrance.

Gaining space in the kitchen, enables us to truly have an eat-in kitchen, get in much more cabinets and even an island. We'll be able to put in a sliding glass door and have access to the rear yard (there is none now) to be able to bring in groceries from the driveway.

So - the problem of course we are losing a bathroom at the moment. There is only one upstairs which services all 3 bedrooms. There is only two of us living in the house, however, for re-sale value down the road, we are concerned. We could always add one into the basement but I do know people want one on the ground level. On the other hand, when you are dealing with a home of nearly 100 years of age, there are times when you just can't find that amenity and people do seem to accept this.

So - curious what YOU would do? Do without the extra bathroom and have the extra space in the kitchen and dining room? Or, keep the bathroom in a place which is so undesireable (seriously, would you really want to use it while people are eating 3 feet away?)

Tough call...

Comments (10)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

A first floor half bathroom is a rather desirable thing nowadays.

It allows guests to not go all through the house to 'private' areas to use a bathroom.

Losing it would likely have a significant impact on resale and value.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, in essence you feel walking into the bathroom directly from the dining room or kitchen is ok?

I can't see anyone using that bathroom at all when we're eating dinner or if I'm in the kitchen preparing a meal. The dining room table is literally 2 steps away from the bathroom. No joke.

The only time I can see anyone using it, is when my partner and I are alone or, when people are in the living room just hanging out. Once a meal is served I'd think anyone who had to use the facility would head upstairs due to the proximity of the room being so ridiculously close to where the food is being served.

It's a hard call - I know :(

• worthy
    14 years ago

I once bought a three storey five bedroom late 19th Century home with one original bath and an added one in the kitchen. Charming. I gutted the first floor and removed it. Maybe there is some place you can add a two-piece on the main floor that is less obtrusive. Here they are often squeezed in under the stairs to the second floor.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny you should mention that Worthy. My partner, earlier today, said he thinks there may be space under the stair to do just that. He sort of remembers there being a landing area, before making the turn into the basement and thinks there is probably enough dead space under the stairs because of the landing area (I'm probably not explaining this very well and frankly, I don't remember this at all, so we need to get back into the house to have a look again).

I hope he's right as that would be the answer we're looking for. I'm not so sure about the wall height for a door myself, but I'm not the architect so I'll keep my mouth shut for now on that account :P

• worthy
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Photo: AATKB.co.Uk

Here's a great example of how you can use space-saving fixtures to squeeze
    in a stylish half-bath in a tight space.

Don't forget space-shaving corner sinks and W.C.s.

• polie
    14 years ago

Worthy, that looks like the solution to the OP's bathroom problem! Looks good and very practical use of otherwise "dead" space.

• lil_geek
    14 years ago

Can you post a rough floor plan?

We own a 150 year old farmhouse. Center staircase (not sure if that is a 4square?).

Our ONLY bathroom is off the kitchen, behind the dining room. When we insulated we put in soundproofing insulation and have never had any issues (we do not have an eat in kitchen... and from the sink to the bathroom door is likely 12-15 feet).

Having lived with only one bathroom for the last 4 years, I would do ANYTHING to have another!! (We have a roughed in space upstairs, but $$$ means it will still be a while!)

This is the original layout of our house... we have pretty much left it alone (except we closed off the second door to the bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

• Laurie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your floor plan is way better than mine lol.

Anyway - I finally got the attention of my friend, who was my boss, the architect. He came up with a way to handle things, which leaves the bathroom in place. Basically, it will be entered through the Butler's Pantry in the Dining Room, which essentially gives the illusion of entering through a small "hallway"; instead of entering it directly through the door IN the dining room or kitchen themselves.

Much better idea. This way you're not literally bumping over someone's chair while eating to get into the room or, visually seeing the toilet while cooking. And I don't feel like I have to rip it out either, which really pained me to do.

BTW - we did look into putting it under the stairway but there wasn't enough wall space at all, let alone head clearance even if there was.

I think we'll be able to live with the Pantry entry. We don't need to use that space as a pantry per se anyway - it's just going to be used for storage. It will then have 2 doors also, leading in which should cut down on the noise level and we'll be adding a fan as well to help. Thankfully there's a window in there, so the room in the end should wind up being a nice space, although awkwardly placed.

Could be worse.

• iowa_garden_girl
    14 years ago

That's awesome that you found a way to keep the bathroom with an entry that fits your lifestyle better. This discussion draws my curiousity though. I don't know if the homes in my area are just older, some more than 100 years old, but many of them only have 1 bathroom and it is off of the kitchen because of the proximity of the plumbing. I've never thought anything of it, and I've never really seen anybody get up from the supper table to go to the bathroom while in the middle of a meal. Usually these bathrooms are designed so that you don't see the toilet from the other room which is a good idea no matter where the bathroom is located, not only for aesthetics, but also for privacy in case somebody accidently tries to come in while you are busy and the door didn't get locked:)

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

If you want to keep the bathroom you could install a very good fan and keep a spray can of air freshener in the bathroom.