Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Addition - Where Do I Even Start?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:36

Hi - I would like to put an addition on my tiny antique house. i don't even know how to start. Do I first talk to an architect? An engineer? I certainly want someone who understands old houses and can help to make something not "stick out like a sore thumb".

But most of all, I don't even know where to start with all of this. Who do I contact first and how do I find them?

Thank you - for anything you can tell this "addition newbie".

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Addition - Where Do I Even Start?

Start with a real estate agent. Ask whether or not dropping a couple of hundred thousand on your existing home would be recouped or if you're planning something "above the neighborhood" or whether or not it'd be better to sell and take those thousands and put towards a home that is larger and more suited to your lifestyle from the beginning.

o

Thanks. I appreciate your response. My house is "below the neighborhood", so I'd be building "up". Now ... my house is fine. It's antique and small. Most of the others in the neighborhood are newer (1980's to 2000) and much larger. Of course, it still may be better to sell and buy, but I just wanted to make sure it's clear that most homes in the neighborhood are worth more $$ now.

o

The agent can tell you if it would be worth doing, but the codes office will tell you if it is possible and how much room(and where) there is for an addition. Property setbacks and utility/city right of ways limit expansion in many cases.

The current foundation may not be sufficient for a second story and the surrounding ground may limit the types of new foundations possible. An engineer should have that information.

And finally, an architect and their blueprints will often be necessary for the permits. Some contracting companies may have all or some of those folks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here