Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

Interior decorator questions

nancita
12 years ago

Hi all,

DH and I have visual impairments (as someone once told me, "Don't let your husband pick out the curtains". In our last house, we had a friend of a friend who was a decorator. All I wanted was wall paint colors. She did a fabulous job and it didn't cost us anything (except a "tip" for her time.

Now we are gutting our entire second floor, installing two baths redoing three bedrooms and converting one into an office. We will need advice on tile for bathrooms and paint colors.

Do interior decorators typically sell furniture and other items or is it possible to only hire one for just tile and paint selection?

Thanks you!

Comment (1)

• czecheart
    12 years ago

For what my personal experience is worth I'll share with you.....I just hired an interior designer/decorator this past year for our remodeling. We live in a small community. There were interior decorators available who are connected with a local high-end furnishing shop, I knew from friends that they do somewhat push their products (of course). I opted for a local girl who had worked for that shop and who I knew others in our church had hired. Her charges were starting at $1500, she informed me that she charged by the hour, it was around $90, but could have been more.

Try to avoid my mistake. I had here over to my home twice. Once when we first met and she did not charge me. Then another time. The second time was to go over / reiterate what I wanted , give her pictures ( she said she only got a few the first time) and most importantly show her some of the remodeling( new room) that had been done since our first meeting ...as I was anxious for her to get going on a plan for me. I was expecting her to put together a plan so I could visualize the color and furnishings before I spent any money I'd have an idea where I was going.

As we walked around my home she gave what I would call her off the cuff reactions and opinions to the rooms, ex. like I think the sofas would be nice this way. In no way did I regard those thoughts her 'professional advice'. At that second meeting I asked for her thoughts about what direction of paint color she was thinking for the rooms I wanted help with ..I brought out color swatches for her to show me her ideas... she replied that "I'd probably go with more neutrals."

She came to my home and she controlled how long she was going to stay. At the end of that second visit she informed me that we used up all of the time and if she was going to continue I'd have to pay her more money because she had been charging me for that second meeting. I was taken aback. I thought that time spent together was so she could go home and actually get a plan together that would be presented to me. I was willing to pay for her time to do the actual planning. I envisioned a board with pictures and paint chip colors.

I likened this to the architect/ landscape designers we hired for this same remodeling project. They came over several times to measure and take pictures. They both presented their idea on a formal plan. They both did not charge me for changes I made.

Because I never hired an interior designer /decorator and because I knew others who used her services I was not careful upon the terms of the agreement at the outset and I should know better because I'm in law school. ( I went against everything I've learned about contracts.)

I suggest you spell out specifically what you want from whom ever you hire and that you make your payment dependent upon your "PERSONAL SATISFACTION" with that information.