Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logey_gw

Is it ok to have this job re-bid?

logey
11 years ago

We are in the process of residing our house and entertained four bids. In order to compare apples to apples we asked each to bid using the brand and color that "we thought" was the most likely color we'd go with...

Once the dust settled, we indicated to one contractor that we wanted him to do the job, but were still uncertain on the color. No contracts were signed, just a verbal telling him we wanted him and no material ordered.

As we continued to mull over the color we found another brand and color we liked and asked him about that and he indicated that if we wanted that he would have to charge us about 8% more for the job. I knew the price may vary but both are premium sidings and colors, so I questioned in my mind if the increase was justified or just an opportunity for a bigger payday.

So I am considering having the others re-bid the new siding and color since the job "changed" but I am sort of feeling like a jerk and know he is ticked off.

I'd appreciate your feedback on if what I am doing is "part of the job" at times for these contractors or am I just a slimeball for continuing to look for the best value for my money since I am not under contract and the job he originally bid has changed.

Comments (3)