Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Raising the roof

pixie_lou
9 years ago

We are thinking of buying a home. But we would need to raise the roof to add a second floor above the middle section. Would anyone hazard a ballpark estimate?

If you look at the photo, it's the middle section, between the garage and main house; the part with the lower roof line. Right now that is the kitchen area and it has a cathedral ceiling up to the roof line. I took rough measurements when I looked at the house last week. That section is about 17x20.

We are only talking a floor, roof/ceiling, and walls. And a few windows. The stairs going to the second level are to the right of the front door, flush with the wall. So no additional stairs are involved.

FWIW the house was built in 2010. It has hardierplank siding and azec trim. We are in Boston MetroWest, so labor around here is expensive.

I've talked to the town, and the "addition" is allowed. I'm going for another look this week to double check that the rest of the house meets our needs before I call an architect or contractor to take a look.

Thanks for the help.

Front view of house:

Comments (7)