Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Converting a parlor brownstone window to a door

dreamojean
10 years ago

We are converting a window to a door off our back parlor floor in a new york city brownstone and we have two windows to choose from - a 29" window off the dining room and a 31" window off the kitchen. Someone told me they think windows have to be 30" to be code-compliant, I'd be curious if anyone happens to know whether that is code compliant in NYC and whether we put the door off the dining room we need to widen it to 30" or whether we are grandfathered. I'd also be curious what is required to convert a window to a door and if needed to widen a door. And can the door open outward as opposed to inward? I'd think we would need a mason to remove bricks and a carpenter to demo the window and frame and install the door, plus possibly a storm door. And how can we make the new door as airtight/weatherproofed as possible? I'd also be interested in suggestions for where to source the door (or doors, if we do a storm door). I've attached a pic of the 29" window on the right of the bay window area - if we convert that window to a door I'd want to keep the trim intact somehow. Thanks for any suggestions