Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerd_gw

Kitchen with an amazing view or kitchen close to garage--HELP!

nerd
12 years ago

We are remodeling our home and would like to add an attached garage. The only place to add the garage is on the opposite side of the house of the kitchen. I wanted the garage to be near the kitchen so we had a design drawn up accordingly. I am now rethinking this as our current kitchen is bright and has the best view of our property "the money shot." I am now wondering whether we should keep the kitchen in its current location and still add the garage on the opposite side of the house. If we did this we would incur additional design costs as we would need to enlarge the existing kitchen to add on a living room type space. We would also have to tear down the one year old deck which we have outside the kitchen and reconfigure the outdoor area as well. The kitchen in the "new" design will be beautiful no doubt but it doesn't have the views or the natural light as the existing space. Help!!! We aren't planning on moving anything soon but I'm wondering which design choice makes the most since from a resale value.

Comments (10)

• User
    12 years ago

Post the designs if you want an actual critique or suggestions. There may be a way to have both.

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

Agreed that we'd need to see the plans...

In a nutshell, while I'd want a nice view from the kitchen, if I had to choose, I'd give priority to the living room/den. But of course it all depends on the layout and the house.... as well as your style of living. If all you ever do in the den is watch tv then maybe a view isn't important in that room.

Also there are ways to make a view nicer..... have a little garden outside the kitchen window and it might be as charming as a sweeping vista view.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I want the best view from the room that I use the most. In my particular case, it is the kitchen and the dining room. We eat breakfast and dinner looking at Mt Rainier. We eat in the dining room every day, not just on holidays. We have been looking for a house for years. I have a view from the kitchen/dining and slightly less so from the LR. When we look at houses, many houses have the kitchen cut off from the view, often located in the back with a view to the backyard. Although the view from the LR is better that what I currently have from my kitchen, I always turn these house down. I can't imagine living in a house where I would not have the access to the view until we ate dinner and sat down in the living room, which is for 1 hour a day. Often, it is already dark when I am in the living room.
    No way will I trade my house with a view from the kitchen to a LR with a view. Maybe because I live with a view, I know what is important to me to use that view. The view is not just about what you see but about the sense of space that the vista gives you. It's often about the natural light that it brings in. I have that sense of space and openness nearly all moments that I am in my house. Clearly, houses with a view from the LR only sell just as easily as the ones with the kitchen view, it probably does not matter where the view is. Where we live, even the bedroom views are considered views on the listing and priced up accordingly... Not as much as the common room view, non the less a view.... What matters is that there is a view for folks that have not lived with a view before and want one in their new house.

if you can, in a view property, it helps to open up the walls so that you have views through another room. Our friends' water front beach house has completely open floor plan. The back part of the house is elevated 1 or 2 steps. This allows the back part of the house to look through/above the front of the house. We have also done this. Our LR is elevated and look through the DR and kitchen.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

If you have to choose: view.

You will not be schlepping groceries from the garage for hours a day, every day, but you will be in the kitchen. Of course this comes from somebody who lives on the third floor and carries groceries almost 5 blocks, not from the car to the kitchen, so I am biased.

• Susan
    12 years ago

i think the view too. my home is on a narow lot with an incredible view out the back. the front is close to a busy high speed road.
    we've organised the room so stairs and closet are towards the road while the kitchen and living rooms, plus the bedrooms all face the view.
    the front yard has a very tall privacy fence and lovely landscaping and stone patio.
    we never use it.
    we always gather around the view, no matter if it's just dh and me or the entire clan and neighborhood.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Kaismom explained it well. View. It didn't matter how bad or small my kitchen was everyone came in there. Why? the view. The view is only of our yard and some woods but people are drawn to it. We are only in the living room to watch TV or late at night when its dark.

• weimom
    12 years ago

VIEW,VIEW,VIEW, at least in my opinion! I think the main reason we spend so much time in the kitchen is due to the multitude of windows and a wonderful view of Pikes Peak. I could have had a much bigger sink in my island if I had shifted it around to the other side but then I would not be able to stand at the sink and see that incredible view. So, I am stuck with a much smaller 22''x19"
    sink. That's ok, I wasn't willing to give up the view. It is the first thing guests comment on when they walk in my house. Good luck with your decision.

• rosie
    11 years ago

How funny. Now me, I've never understood the sacrifices so many make happily to cut down the grocery schlep to as few feet as possible. Fortunately, to each their own, and my own choice has always been view and sunlight.

• garethcooper9
    11 years ago

From my experience I can say that people often feel sorry for spoiling a beautiful view. The lack of sunshine and a good view tends to affect people mood throughout the day. Be happy and carry your grocery. A bit of exercise is good for everyone.