Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winesnob_gw

Adding Pocket Door to water closet

winesnob
12 years ago

Do you have a suggestion as to what brand of pocket door and lock I should suggest to my contractor. I would want a solid core doer with strong lock. Thank you

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Johnson hardware for the tracks and hangers.

A door at least slightly wider tan the opening is needed if there is any trim pattern to the door (like panels).

You need to trim off some of the 'show' edge to center the decoration while leaving some of the pocket edge in the pocket when the door is closed.

Stop molding may also be needed on the jamb opposite the pocket to provide privacy.

I do not use the typical plastic guides to prevent door sway (they will scratch the face of the door eventually).

Mount a short section of aluminum angle on the floor of the pocket and cut a mating groove in the bottom of the door to prevent sway.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

All he said is good [brickeyee] except that Johnson's locks might not be considered heavy enough. They are the first name in pocket doors though.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Johnson locks are pretty bad (as are all the chop a notch from the door types).

There are some mortise type pocket door locks available, but the last time I saw one it was over $100

• homebound
    11 years ago

I'm installing a pocket door (Johnson 1500) with solid 6-panel for a master bath (doorway is about 4' from bed). When the door is closed, how much of the door should typically remain in the pocket for privacy? Also, does adding a stop on the solid jamb side help with sound at all, or just for cosmetic reasons (block the vertical edge of light at night when the bathroom light is on, etc.)?

Also, any thoughts on the type of flip-lock (my term) that installs on the inner door face near the pocket edge (not near the handle side)? It abuts the split jamb when it's folded out.
    Thanks much.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

An inch or two in the pocket will help a little with noise control, as will adding stops on the non-pocket side.

If the door has any detail like panels you may need to deal with centering them when the door is closed.

Trimming the exposed edge and padding the pocket edge usually does the job.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Wow, I wasn't thinking an inch or two in the pocket
    - more like 1/2" max since I'm using 24" six-panel doors. What exactly do you mean by padding the pocket edge?

Fortunately I did leave extra room (maybe an inch) in the pocket to add something to the door edge.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

1/2" and you will be seeing into the pocket, not enough. Brick is much closer to reality.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You extend the pocket edge of the door with a wooden filler strip.

You will need a panel door wider than the opening if you want it centered when closed.