Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardtb

staircase problem

hardtb
12 years ago

im in way over my head and would appreciate any experienced advice i can get. im trying to put in a new staircase in my 100 year old house. this is my first staircase, an it will be completly new as there isnt an existing one, so i have nothing to base my measurements on. my total rise is 9' 7 3/4". because i dont have a lot of room for the total run, i tried building the stairs with a 10' total run. 7 5/8" rise an a 9 1/2" tread, but they feel very fast when im coming down. i think if if i could stretch my total run out a little more so that i could add 1 or 2 inches to each of my treads the stairs would be much better. what do you think?

Comments (9)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I think just going to a 10" tread cut (and using 11.25" treads) will make it a lot more comfy, if you can spare the extra 7.5" for the run.
    Casey

• hendricus
    12 years ago

This is what I used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair calculater

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Definitely stretch out the treads if you've got the room to do so in the overall run. 9 1/2" is narrow.

Cool tool, hendricus!

• don92
    11 years ago

Can you make a turn at the bottom and have a winder?

• hardtb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What i decided on was extending my run as far as i can so that i have 10"s of exposed tread when im walking down. I have to drop to 14 treads an 8 1/4" risers to get it but i think it will feel better tgen the 7 1/2"s of exposure i originally had. No don92 i cant make any turns, its all gotta be 1 straight shot. I cant go back any farther because of a window and i cant go any more forward because of my front door. Im pretty much maxed out at a rise of 115" and a run of 140"

• renovator8
    11 years ago

You have a totally incorrect idea about the relationship of risers to treads. An 8 1/4" riser should have an 8 1/2" tread. I will try to offer an appropriate design later when I have time but the best stair design is a 7 1/2" riser and a 10" tread if it fits. Mixing tall treads with long risers will create a safety hazard.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

There is only one optimum design for this stair space:

15 Risers @ 7.7166" = 115.75" floor to floor

14 Treads @ 9.75" = 136.5" run face to face of top & bottom risers

The 3/4" or 1" nosing projecting is not used in this calculation. It is added to each tread after the above design is determined.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

There is only one optimum design for this stair space:

15 Risers @ 7.7166" = 115.75" floor to floor

14 Treads @ 9.75" = 136.5" run face to face of top & bottom risers

The 3/4" or 1" nosing projecting is not used in this calculation. It is added to each tread after the above design is determined.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

I think the basis of your problems is that you are including the nosing as part of the tread dimension. A nosing overhangs the riser below and does not add to the overall run of the stair so when you talk about a 10" tread design, it will actually be 10 3/4" or 11" under foot.

The last stair design you last mentioned would be appropriate only for giants.