Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raise Ceiling in Closet?

Posted by dancingqueen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 18:10

I had wanted to expand my master closet over the garage but there are so many costly requirements I'm trying for some other way to gain space. I do have a attic above the closet and started thinking about raising the ceiling. Has anyone done this? Is this likely to be just as costly as my over the garage idea? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raise Ceiling in Closet?

can you do a simple pull down stairs from the closet to the attic? That may be the most cost-effective.

o

"I do have a attic above the closet and started thinking about raising the ceiling. "

The ceiling joists are usually the problem.

If it is conventionally framed you can alter them by doubling and removing sections, if they are trusses you need an engineers stamp for any alterations.

o

started thinking about raising the ceiling

When I build ten-foot ceilings, I always drop them at least a foot in the closet. It's just too difficult to access the extra height and it looks ridiculous. For nine-foot closets you can put in another shelf that can be useful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here