Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux stone/brick for chimney

Posted by oyeah_lifeisgood (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 18:02

We just finished adding a second story to our house. We had to extend our chimney (but no fireplace on the addition) and our contractor and inspector told us the foundation would not support putting brick (to match the original brick) on the extension. They have told us that our only option is stucco. Does anyone know of any other option? Faux stone or brick? I think they ruled out a brick veneer because they didn't think we could match the first floor brick. Any insight helpful!

PS. I have a picture but couldn't figure out how to post it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux stone/brick for chimney

To post a photo here you need to first have it uploaded on a website. There are several free photo hosting sites. www.photobucket.com, www.flickr.com, www.webshots.com. Once uploaded you just need to provide a link to where the photo is. Or do an html image tag and include it inline with the post.

Why can't you do the brick veneer? I would find the one that is the closest match for the background color of existing brick and then either use stain or paint to get it to match. You could probably do that one yourself and just have them put it up. Without seeing how it looks I think doing another hard surface that is not currently part of your house wouldn't tie in very well. What was used on the addition? Stucco or siding? I would either match that or try to match the brick.

o
RE: Faux stone/brick for chimney

Go to the El Dorado Stone website - they have sone veneer - for exterior & interior. I've seen it in person and it looks great - we're using the El Dorado stone veneer for a firplace project. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here