Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

roof repair issues

foodonastump
11 years ago

Hi - I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this question, but it seems reasonably active so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had rood damage due to a tree falling during hurricane Sandy. Insurance paid for a new roof, acknowledging they couldn't tell the full extent of the damage before the roof was removed. (No attic access.) They said to simply let them know if there was more than meets the eye and they'd take care of it. Roofer was called, job was done, all seemed fine, but I just opened up a ceiling in an upstairs bedroom only to find that three rafters in a row were severely split by the damage. The roofers simply sistered one of the rafters with a scrap of plywood in order to give them support for the new sheathing. Nothing structural was reported to me or repaired.

My question - What recourse do I have with the roofer? Yes, he did what he was paid to do, but as a licensed contractor doesn't he have some obligation to call out a structural issue that was in blatantly plain sight?

What doesn't make sense is he knew this was an insurance job, so why not just do the job right and get paid for it?

This post was edited by foodonastump on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 18:02

Comment (1)