Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike7300

Do I prime before texture???

mike7300
17 years ago

I am finishing my basement and have just completed mudding and taping my drywall. I would like to texture my walls but am curious on whether or not I should prime the bare drywall first. I know that I am suppose to prime after I texture, but should I make sure to prime first? Do professionals who spray on texture prime first too?

Comments (12)

• igloochic
    17 years ago

I've done my own texture and I've had a place sprayed on (texture) neither was done with primer prior to the texture. I've never heard of that actually.

• Faron79
    17 years ago

Hi Mike,
    In a perfect world, they'd prime b4 AND after! Spray-tex would grip better then. Realistically, a rolled primecoat w/ a quality primer after spraying IS mandatory though!
    "Builders-grade" primers aren't the greatest choice. There are MUCH better choices...stay near the top-end of a paint line for best hide and enamel hold-out.

Make darn sure you're rolling on two coats of paint after though...
    Faron

• Lynne Reno
    17 years ago

I've never heard of priming before texturing, I'm not sure why it would be desirable or necessary.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

Priming will make it easier to remove the stuff when you get tired of it catching dust...

• mightyanvil
    17 years ago

The drywall must always be primed before any paint or textured product is applied.

www.flexbon.com/probsdrywall.pdf

• sierraeast
    17 years ago

Try getting a painter to come in and prime,then have the drywaller come back to texture,and once again get the painter back out to paint. In most cases,this isn't going to happen. On new work,they texture right after mudding, many times before the mud joints have cured, causing problems with the paint ,(usually not primed),not adhereing properly.

Priming before texture gives the texture a better bond,but a second coat of primer should be applied over the texture as well,followed by two coats of finish.

If diy'ing, you have the luxury of doing it right by letting the mud joints cure,priming, texturing,etc. In contractor world, it isn't likely to happen.

• sierraeast
    17 years ago

You need to lightly sand the texture before finish.Just lightly "scratching" the surface will rid the texture,(or the majority), of the glaze that forms on cured texture so that it will accept the finish with a better bond.

• randymeyer
    17 years ago

Never primed before texturing when using joint compound based textures.
    Never sanded texture.
    Skipped primer and used (2) coats low-sheen finish many times.

Never had an issue - guessing well over 2 million square feet.

Either way is fine. Quality primer on top of texture would be better than below.

• miczag69
    8 years ago

same reason painters prime before painting, to seal the surface and prevent the paint from being absorbed and drying too quickly, to get better adhesion

• Eric Sheasby
    7 years ago

In remodel situation with knockdown of you do not prime the texture dries at different rates and the knockdown won't work. If orange peel out splatter it won't matter.

• HU-410332967
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would always recommend priming before texture. I have been a contractor for 35 years. When I had built my new home, the drywaller didn't think he needed to paint before texturing. Every band every corner, every joint, you could see after it was painted. All 3000 square feet of it!

Even though the drywall guy was very experienced in mudding and texture. He didn't think that he would have that problem. Then of course, the painter in the drywaller argued for days about whose fault it was. I lose!

Like someone commented "not in a contractor world." Well, in a contractor world, you wouldn't have too many jobs if you are looking to cut corners.

The cost of fixing a mistake like that outweighs the cost of a little bit of cheap primer. After 10 years of living here. I still see the effects of not putting primer on before texture. Also, I know that some texture companies will add primer into their texture. Maybe on a larger scale project that might be more efficient than painting a large area.