Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_in_maine

Questions to ask at Interview of General Contractors ?

susan_in_maine
15 years ago

I've been reading loads here, and have seen a few things posted on how people picked their GC, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good list of questions somewhere to ask during the interview process.

Thanks in advance.

-Susan

Comments (7)

• vhehn
    15 years ago

references from other customers.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Along w/references mentioned, ask to see past/current projects and to give you their license # if required in your area. The state contractors board will have any negatives listed against them, again if required in your area. Make sure any contracts are written out in full detail all aspects of the project and explainng to you in full detail every stage and step including things such as change orders,payment schedules,how suppliers are dealt with, etc. Ask to show proof of insurance/bonding and how liens are handled concerning subs. Make sure all employees are legal and covered by workmans comp.

Here's a link, there are others. Just search engine: hiring a contractor.

Get familiar with the legalities,process,as well as the physical part of the project. Educate, do your homework w/ research!

Here is a link that might be useful: hiring a contractor

• katieo_home
    15 years ago

Here's 2 I like

1. Who are your main competitors?

2. What is the question I'm forgetting to ask?

This one has eliciting a good amount of information.
    i.e many people ask ...or they want to know...

• caligirl_cottage
    15 years ago

I particularly want to know exactly WHO will be working on my project on a daily basis. Who is the site superintendent and what is their experience, how do they handle problems and how do they like to communicate (phone calls to update you, emails, on-site meetings). Also, don't just ask for three references, ask for "the three most recent projects" including one that is currently under construction. Construction is like child-birth, you tend to forget the pain afterward and are just thrilled it's over. Asking someone who's in the middle of the project can give you some additional information about the contractor and how they deal with their clients.

• susan_in_maine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much - these are great questions. And thanks for the link as well. I've gotten so much great advice here - this is a wonderful place to have found.

-Susan

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Since we are on our second contractor from hell ( 1st embezzled & then filed bankruptcy, 2nd is totally awol & has fraudulent billing) so I definitely have questions I would ask. Wish we would have known all we know now.

1. references from at least 10 builds
    2. references from several suppliers
    3. references from several subs
    4. detailed conversation on how billing & verification of invoices, hours, etc. will be worked.
    5. how will they perform quality checks, re-do's, get this in writing
    We have been though so much and as I much as I hate to say it there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there posing as contractors taking honest people's money. We have attorneys involved and after hearing all the protection they are afforded I am certain this is the last refuge for crooks.

Yes, I know there are good builders out there, I wish I had found one.

Do your homework and ask as many questions as you feel you need to. You won't be sorry.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

As a software developer of large systems, this is what I do when estimating a project:

Ask for a time line: The order of the jobs and the length of each job. Then ask youself if the estimated time sounds reasonable or overly optimistic. Make sure that the tasks are broken down into milestones.

This way you can track the progress, and you can see when the schedule starts to slip.