Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling my livingroom & familyroom

Posted by sumsin (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 16:50

I have a wall between my familyroom and living room that are next to each other. This poses a problem when I have a big gathering. People all tend to go to the family room where I have the TV. And the living room just sits there by itself lonely. I am thinking to take the wall between down so it will make the whole area look bigger/airy and also allow people to spread out more between these two rooms. In this way I can get more use from the living room. Not sure if the wall is a "load bearing one"" or not. Will find out soon.

Just started talking to a few contractors. Can you tell me what kind of questions I should ask the contractors to make sure I get a good estimate and more importantly a good job. How much ($$) are we talking about approx for this job? Just making sure that I can afford the job on the ballpark.
Please share your expereince and advise. thnx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling my livingroom & familyroom

I would consider making the opening between the two spaces wider instead of removing it altogether. If it is a structural wall only a larger header over the larger opening would be needed and possibly reinforcement below for the new posts that support the ends of the header.

o

Yes I measured the wall finally. Its 14'. so keeping 2' each side and a header would be good. Still I would get 10' opening which is nice.
Now that Im looking carefully, I need to move the vent return, wall cable jacks and other electric plug points from that wall to somewhere else.

o

Yes I measured the wall finally. Its 14'. so keeping 2' each side and a header would be good. Still I would get 10' opening which is nice.
Now that Im looking carefully, I need to move the vent return, wall cable jacks and other electric plug points from that wall to somewhere else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here