Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

Where should the porch go?

alisonn
10 years ago

We bought a long, low ranch. The view you are seeing in the photo faces the lake. I would like to add a screened-in porch, but would not like to obstruct the view from the living room. We are planning a garage addition (left side of the house). One idea I had was to make the garage flush with the front of the house, and extend the roofline forward and put the porch in front of the garage, so it would give the house an L-shape.

The porch would NOT be accessible from the kitchen--it would be accessible from either the garage or out the door (that slider leads into the living area), turn right and walk across the deck. I don't think this is terrible, since an alternative is a seperate screen structure near the water's edge, which wouldn't be any more convenient. Any other locations would mean accessing the porch from a bedroom, which I don't think is particularly good for resale value, especially since we already will have to put a door in the bedroom on the end to access the new garage. Sorry this is so long---any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (2)