Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yankca

Hurry, contractors coming in two days

yankca
10 years ago

Hi, we finally decided to do something about this room. It was a second kitchen that we never used. At one time was an office, storage etc. We need a third bedroom. It has a kitchen sink that we would like to keep the water credits. Trying to decide whether to keep any of the cabinets or just put in a new sink with new countertop or simply cap it at the wall for future documentation or use. Attached are pictures I hope. The weird corner with the cut out area was where the fridge was. Trying to decide whether to put a door in that space and make it a closet or to remove that entire corner. Husband kind of wants to move the long straight cabinet area and put it where the sink was and put in new sink with new countertop. I'm thinking to remove all cabinets. I want to remove the soffits and the drop ceiling box light, put in new flooring trying to decide between hardwood or French limestone-with nu heat. The two small cabinet doors by the door must stay as they open to storage under a staircase. Garage is on two sides large family room on one-side outdoor access on the fourth side. Thus no ability to put in any windows. Consequently the currentl Dutch door is the only window possibility. Sorry to sound frantic, but i am. All advice and help appreciated. Also the room dimensions are approximately 15.5 'by 10.5' not including small area in front of outside door.

Comments (16)

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pictures

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last picture

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I'm a little confused by your post. What is your ultimate desired use for this room? As a third bedroom? Or do you still want some kitchen functionality?

With that answered, we can probably better help you.

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. We have a large odd house with 2 bedrooms and two kitchens. We only kept this room as is because the realtor told us twenty years ago to always keep this second kitchen for resale and water credits. The room has been used as an office and storage only. I have always thought we needed an additional bedroom for guests. Real question is whether to have a bedroom ( with a trundle bed) with a sink and just use some of the existing cabinets- they are in great condition. Or to cap the water pipes at the wall ( put a piece of furniture in front of it). Husband would like someplace to store his books and paper work in addition to a guest room for extremely infrequent guests.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I think a sink in a bedroom would be a bit odd. I'd probably cap it off so it could be used later. But don't put in a sink unless you've got a need for it.

The cabinets can be repurposed into office furniture: reconfigure them and remove the doors and they're bookcases. Reconfigure into a wall of cabinets (no counter in the middle and have a great built-in.

I'd probably put a door on the old fridge space and make it a small closet. Then the room can be considered a real bedroom.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"Then the room can be considered a real bedroom."

How about required openable light and ventilation?

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I'm a bit confused. Does a "real Bedroom" require a window that opens and ventilation? It does have a Dutch door- top opens without the bottom. Because it is a real kitchen it does have an exhaust fan. I'm not sure what qualifies as a bedroom. Two small closets - one does have a rod for hanging clothes. Thank you for all ideas. I am also leaning towards the door where fridge was. Concerned it might look funky? Should I paint the two small doors and cabinet surrounding where the refrigerator was white or leave them as is? Thinking of a warm cream beiges color for the walls

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Each residential dwelling gas a nib requirement foe openable light and ventilation, WHICH DOES NOT COMPROMISE IT'S SECuRUTY, and a dutch door does nit meet that requirement.

A bedroom is also required to have two forms of egress and when one of them is a window the sol must not be more than 42" above the floor it must have an openable area of 5.7sq.ft. with a min. opening width and/or height of 22".

Does that give you several questions for your contractor.

Broaden your horizon, narrow your expectations and weigh the alternatives.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Can you post a floor plan? It looks like there are two exterio doors into this space.

Also, what are water credits?

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Attached is the floor plan. Water credits in our area are very valuable. Each property only gets a certain number because we have a drought going on in California. I.e. a lot is not buildable without water credits currently we have a moratorium on building. And no one can add a bathroom or laundry room or kitchen without water credits. Also one can buy and sell water credits. I know the whole thing is stupid.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

How can contractors be coming when you don't yet have a plan? Or are you in process of selecting one?

• yankca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coming tomorrow for demo. Remove soffits, fluorescent light box, L shaped cabinet and flooring. Think I will tell them I want to keep upper cabinet in the room and straight cabinet in garage ???