Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gypsum Wallboard/Sheetrock - USG Level #4 vs. #5?

Posted by jmcgowan (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 15:23

Can one tell the difference between these two levels of sheetrock, USG Level #4 vs. Level #5? What are the differences? Also, if you have advice for one level or another, it would be great to hear your thoughts/rationale.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gypsum Wallboard/Sheetrock - USG Level #4 vs. #5?

For those not familiar with the terms, see the link.

The basic rule is that for flat light coloured paints with ordinary lighting conditions, Level 4 is acceptable. That is the standard, in fact, where I build. However, in other areas, Level 5 is the usual standard.

For semi-gloss, gloss and dark paints, you must use Level 5, otherwise the joints and screw hole repairs will be visible.

I build higher-end homes and find Level 4 finished by a good crew to be acceptable, even for mid-range satin finishes. However, keep in mind that many of the walls are eventually covered with other materials and finishes, such as wainscotting, faux and textured finishes, cabinetry, paneling, plaster ornamentation and stone. Sometimes I find myself doing a lot of fiddling with lighting to keep it from shining directly on the walls, revealing the seams etc.

Experienced tapers and painters can spot imperfections the usual person, including me, would never see. Buyers as a rule are forever more concerned with some little speck in the drywall than structural matters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall Finishing Levels.

o
RE: Gypsum Wallboard/Sheetrock - USG Level #4 vs. #5?

Interesting! I didn't know there were formal ratings for sheet rock finish.

My hangers do a fair job, but it's cost effective to do touch up myself. I'm a one man band, and a bit of a perfectionist, so I cause my own share of dings anyway.

Buyers? Hah! They wouldn't care if the front door was made of OSB as long as it had a Baldwin lockset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here